Computer crashes only on certain types of games

Skarlight

I'll start off by listing my specs:
Windows 7 64 bit OS
AMD 8150 Eight Core 3.61
16.0 GB of ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580

I can post whatever other pieces I need to, but those are the highlights
So a lot of games work just fine, like Starcraft 2, Prototype, League of Legends, even a couple new ones like Saints Row IV.
But, if I try to play some other games like Total war: Shogun 2, X-Com: Enemy unknown or X-com: Declassified the games will restart the computer with no warning, or occasionally with give me a BSOD.

I spent a lot of money on this rig, and I'd like to see it handle all these games (that's why I picked the hardware I did). Any advice? Or help? is appreciated!

This may be caused by a bios setting... Are all the Windows Updates, including all the optional ones applied?

Stay tuned. I'm glad you mentioned the bios because I forgot to mention the motherboard that I had bought with the processor was a unit I found out were pretty much made to work together, but that the bios is graphic, so I'm not sure how to really "use" the bios. The motherboard model is Crosshair V Formula by Asus. I'm making sure all updates are installed, but I have a feeling they won't be making a difference.

Update: I now have all of the updates in and I tried to run Total War: Shogun 2. The loading screen comes on and sits there for about 5-10 minutes, then screen goes black and the computer eventually does a restart. I'm concerned that when I get Rome 2, I'll run into the same issue.

I went into my bios setting to find those options, I couldn't see anything in particular with those headings.

I've tried searching for them, but to no avail. I thought I changed it at first, but the game just made the same launch start, bring the mouse cursor over the video game designed one, and then froze, restart, and acted like nothing ever happened. I wish you could see it, it's very frustrating.

You have an AMD CPU and I have an Intel CPU so they are very different. I was just suggesting setting things that worked for me. Can you chose "optimal defaults" for the bios?

Great idea. I did try that, but as I was looking in there, I noticed that I needed a BIOS update. Turns out, there was a bios update that was never installed for the crosshair V and the AMD 8150, at least that I had never installed. Once I had the bios flashed and installed the update, worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help though!!

Well we were on the right track suspecting a bios setting... Good work, and thanks for coming by:)

Back