Computer cycling on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry friends, I know issues like this have been brought up in the past but I don't know what to do.

History:

I recently built (not without difficulty and help from friends) a new computer. I had planned on it being used just for school but, when assembled and running, decided I'd like to game a bit as well.

My initial specs were:
Win 7 RTM
GA-EP45-UD3P v1.6 mobo
Intel Core2Duo E4800
2x2GB DDR2 PC 8500 ram
1x ATI 4670 GPU
Antec Sonata Designer case with 500w psu

this setup worked fine

When I decided I wanted to get a bit more gaming power I went out and purchased a second ATI 4670... I soon learned about CrossfireX and trying to get my 2 cards to work became an unsuccessful project for the next few days. Although a dual GPU system was never realized, I booted and ran Windows without issue.

My next step was to return both ATI 4670's and leave frys with a
BFG's GeForce GTX 285 OC
and an Antec 850W True Power Quattro PSU

I removed EVERYTHING from the Antec case, used a dremmel tool to cut into the HDD housing rack (space for the new GeForce was too short by an 2cm), installed the new PSU along with the remaining component's from above.

What I did not do was uninstall the drivers and software for my ATI's before returning them. I thought this might be an issues but figured I could correct it without too much trouble.

My computer has not posted since, at least I don't think so. The fans start spinning, blank screen, and after 30s to 1min powers off and starts cycling on and off...
I've tried my old PSU, I've tried a very old graphics (some PCIE 1.0) card from a different computer, I've tried no graphics card, I tried disconnecting my HDD and other peripherals...

Don't know what to do. I'm learning as I go and don't even know how to trouble shoot this further. Thanks for any advice in advance.

You don't mention whether there are beep codes or not.
Please visit this forum for explanatiion.
Here is another forum which could be some help. :)

sorry, no beeps. Case didn't seem to come with the speaker. At least there's no cable attached to the mobo for the beeps. No hdd or power light blinks either. Any ideas? I completly confused and stuck.

Try removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds and then pop it back in. This will clear stored BIOS settings.

Repost with results.

-- Andy

Ok, will try. I've been out of town but get home tomorrow evening. Will try then and post the results. Thanks for the suggestion!

ok... I got home and removed the bat... no changes in status. I shorted the jumper on the mother board to clear the CMOS setting as well... no change. I've tried removing the ram in slot one and replaced it with the ram from slot 2... nothing.

Here's a question: Nothing is hooked up to my computer right now. No graphics card, no HDD, no peripherals, unplugged all seemingly unnecessary connections to the mother board like the USB, audio, firewire, etc... if my computer had no issue and all I needed to do was enter the BIOS to reset the defaults for example... would it power off if I did nothing?

Right now it's taking about 40s to power off the first time. When this happens I flip the power switch so I don't know the timing between future cycles.

I'm thinking about going to Frys tomorrow and seeing if they sell the speaker cable so I can here if there's any beeps. Is this a good idea?

Any other ideas on trouble shooting this issue? I can take photos if it helps. I'm new to this and I'm not sure all the information you might need to help. Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back