Computer doesnt turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today when i tried to turn on my computer it wouldnt turn on.

i tried a few thing and i got to make the sounds my computer makes and the fans to run when it usually works but thats it.

If anyone can help me it would be really apreciated. thanks

BTW im at libray :)

It would very helpful if you could give us your system specs including your make and wattage of your power supply.

well its this computer.
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 2.80GHz with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
Secondary-Level Cache (L2) : 512Kb advanced transfer cache
Front Side Bus: 800MHz
Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM (expandable to 3GB)
Memory Speed: 2700 MB/sec
Hard Drive: 120GB 7200rpm Ultra DMA
Motherboard: ECS 865G-M, Intel 865G Chipset
Optical Drive 1: 8x Dual DVD+/-RW Burner
Optical Drive 2: 52x CD-ROM
Flash Drive: 8-in-1 Memory Card Drive (Compact Flash, Secure Digital, Multimedia Card, MicroDrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, SmartMedia, xD Memory Card)
Floppy Drive: 3.5" (1.44MB)
Video Graphics: Intel® Extreme Graphics 2
Video Memory: Shared Video Memory up to 64MB
TV Tuner: PixelView TV Tuner Card
Audio: Onboard AC'97 Audio supporting 5.1 Channel Sound
Network Card: 10/100/1000 Integrated Network Connectivity
Modem: 56K Modem V.92 Standard
USB 2.0 Ports: 6 (2 on Front, 4 on Back)
IEEE 1394 Ports: 2 (1 on Front, 1 on Back)
Other Ports: 2 PS/2, 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 1 Video (VGA) port, 1 Line-in, 2 Line-out (1 on Front, 1 on Back), 2 Microphone (1 on Front, 1 on Back)
DIMM Slots: 4 (2 open)
PCI Slots: 3 (1 open)
AGP Slot: Open 8x AGP Slot for Video Card Expansion
Drive Bays (Full): 2 (2 occupied)
Drive Bays (1/2): 4 (3 occupied)
Accessories:
Smart Office/MultiMedia Keyboard
Optical Mouse with Scroll Wheel
Creative 2.1 Stereo Speakers
Microphone
Power Supply: 350 Watts
Warranty: One-year limited hardware warranty
Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows XP Home Edition
Software:
Corel WordPerfect Productivity Pack 11
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
Ahead Nero 6 Burning Software
InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2
InterVideo WinDVD 4
InterVideo WinDVR 3
Microsoft Windows Media Player 9
Ulead PhotoImpact 8 SE
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ 6.0
Norton Antivirus™ 2004 (90-Day Trial)
Fry's Marine Aquarium Screen Saver
System Recovery Disk on 1 DVD '
srry for the long post it wouldnt let me post link
i had it for about 3 years.
i did some research and people said that i need a new motherboard but i wanted to ask the best tech support site ever just in case im rong.
Thanks for help me

BTW still @ libray :)

Here are the details i told the people i asked: when i turn on my computer the fans and the LEDS start to go on but not the computer. The only LED that doesnt go on is the blue one. There is a switch in the back of the computer that turn off the whole computer when turned off. It like a lamp switch :p

they said that the motherboard must have blown up or something like that and it caused the computer to shutdown.

Dont know where they got the idea but they could be rong or right

This is a general description that I've run into that the motherboard gone bad has in fact been the case. I do computer repair/diagnostics. However, I only came to this conclusion after testing various parts of the system first. As Route said, testing the power supply is usually the very first thing you check. Not sure where you live at, but where I am, most computer stores will generally not charge you to bring your power supply in, and do a simple 10 second test for proper readings from the power supply. I should ask, is the hard drive running at all?

P.S. Hopefully the guys who told you it was fried werent the geek squad from best buy :p

P.S. Hopefully the guys who told you it was fried werent the geek squad from best buy :p

LOL! :grinthumb

spkenny is correct. Test the various parts from simplest on up, thus my suggestion to first test your power supply. When you get into motherboards, though not difficult per se, there is a whole lot more involved.

Do you know anyone who builds PCs?

Do You Get a Post Screen?

couple of thoughts

If you don't get a post screen and your fan is running it may be your integrated intel video card.

Can you borrow a pci video card from someone and connect your monitor to that to see if you get a post?

one problem

i dont know how to test anything on my computer.
i know some things about the computer but not very much on the parts of the computer. so can anyone tell me how to do any of these things?
maybe i can check google but sometimes the things i find are not really true so yeah.
If u guys can direct me to some links it would help alot.
and to spkenny i live in california los angelos

srry for double post but

i found a guide that tells me how to test my PSU but when i didi it works so i really think its the motherboard now

Because when i plug in a case fan into the PSU it works perfectly so i know that is not the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back