Computer doesn't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. I'm new to techspot.
My wife's computer doesn't turn on. when she hits the power button the green light comes on for a few seconds and then it turns off again. any ideas? Her son normally pulls the plug off the wall to turn the computer off (silly boy).... Thank you in advance for your help

Hello, jhsa, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, that is a pretty bad way to turn off a pc ;) it could be that your power supply has broken, take a look through this thread to make sure, either that or the motherboard or cpu could be damaged from the power suddenly disappearing.

hey hey ... yea, definately either the power supply or the motherboard.... take the pc in. oh and keep the kid away from the computer lol.

Spyder_1386 :)

If the power supply is standard, I would try replacing it if I were you. If not borrow a similar one from a friend.

Thanks for your help guys.. now I have an idea of what could b the problem. hopefully is the power supply. oh, and i'll tell her to replace the kid as well loool.. thanks again.

I don't understand. The computer wouldn't start for days. and suddenly today it started. it is working at the moment. My wife is calling someone to fix it anyway but i'm interested to know what the problem is.. i'll post it as soon as I know. it might help other people..

Daveskater said:
that's weird :confused: maybe you have a self healing pc :D

lol...

i think it was just dust probably got into the power connectors/the PSU...
it could've been accidentally moved/aired out.

It is a known fact that the moment you call in fee charging help, the thing starts to work. In a really bad case, the machine waits until the engineer is on site before working perfectly.
I have a farmer as a client who tells me that before he calls me for help he puts the system case in the back of his 4x4 and drives it across a field - if it still doesn't work I get the call. Imagine - second fiddle to a Land Rover.

In that case, you need to run daily anti-virus updates and regular scans of your machine. also scan flash drives before opening the contents becos you don't want more viruses transfered to your PC and you don't want corrupted data files, do you?

Id be very careful. 32 viruses is alot.

If you do online banking, i would consider formatting.

Regards Jase :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back