Computer freezes during memtest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evulafro

Computer freezes during memtest (Solved)

Ok so here is the deal:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Motherboard: Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: 2048MB DDR Dual Channel
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750 watt (brand New)

My computer randomly started acting up. So after a bit of research I found out my power supply didn't have enough power for my graphics card. I figured that buying a new power supply would fix the problem, but it didn't. So I continued troubleshooting I got a BSOD relating to my graphics card, so I was pretty confident buying the power supply would fix it. Thats when it started getting weird.

After finding out it wasn't getting fixed I decided to take out my graphics card. However low and behold I still got the same BSOD.
BSOD: 0x0000009C(0x00000004, 0x8054D5F0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
So I figured it wasn't worth the headache and I installed my motherboards graphic card drivers, and took out my geforce 9600. Low and behold I got the same BSOD. So I figured it would be the ram, since the PSU and graphics card in my opinion are ruled out. By the way I also get computer freezes, where the computer freezes with no BSOD.

So I ran Memtest 86 v 3.4 I've managed to get two passes with no error on my ram. However the computer has frozen several times before completing a single pass. Does that indicate that its a ram issue or that I should run a sword blade through my pc?

The 9C error is hardware - but which?

Run 1 stick ram ONLY - if it re-occurs, switch the ram with the other module. If it still happens, try using VGA graphics rather than your card.

Do you have an add-on sound card? Network card? etc

Pull anything you don't need to absolutely run and start replacing one at a time until the BSOD's reoccur.

The 9C error is hardware - but which?

Run 1 stick ram ONLY - if it re-occurs, switch the ram with the other module. If it still happens, try using VGA graphics rather than your card.

Do you have an add-on sound card? Network card? etc

Pull anything you don't need to absolutely run and start replacing one at a time until the BSOD's reoccur.

Thx for the reply

According to my research the 9C is hardware and its the GPU. I have no add on sound card or network card. I haven't really touched the ram cuz that is something I'm not accustomed to tinker with.

I have 4 slots Can I remove three of them? is there an issue to where they are placed? I don't know much about ram.

It's a RAM error, I'll bet on it. Pull all the sticks out and replace them (or test them one at a time.

First, it's a Gateway.. Meaning, more than likely, crummy DDR memory modules.. Gateway often uses cheapo modules. Grab a pair of Crucials and see what happens. Crucials are very easy going, good quality modules and get along with just about anything. The price is right on them too.

You have XP - it will run on 512 Mb Ram - try one stick at a time for several days or until a BSOD. Then switch until all 4 have been tried similarly.

By then you should know which, if any, are BAD.

You can also try a Memtest once a single module is inserted.

I found the culprit it was indeed a bad memory chip. Running 3 Ram so far just fine the fourth one for some reason wouldn't even allow the computer to turn on.

Thanks allot for the help.

Since I got so much help at this forum. I was wondering If someone could help me out with another noobie question.

Memory Support:

Four DDR DIMM slots
DDR 333/400 MHz dual channel
Max Memory 4 GB

My Motherboard seems to support dual channel, however it isn't color coded.
What should I assume?

Since I need to buy another Ram Stick I'm undecided on whether to get a single 1 GB DDR RAM, or a DDR DUAL CHANNEL (2x1024MB).

Cheaper just to replace the one bad module. 2 Gb Ram is lots for XP. You get Dual Channel operation with matched sets and the usual recommendation is to also use same-size modules in ALL slots when running Dual Channel (although it is a moot point).

Alright sounds good.

Just one last question it seems my current RAM does not support ECC error checking. Should I try to get a 512MB 184 pin with ECC, or without such that it is the same as the rest?

Edit: Nm amazing how much info you can get out of the internet. Seems no ECC is the way to go. Thx alot for your time guys.

Ok here is something I couldn't figure out:

Will brand make a difference?
(Should I scour my country for a hynix?, or choose between Kingston, and transcend.)

Does a CL difference present an issue?

You should ensure the replacement module has the same size AND timings for smooth operation.

Use the numbers off the Hynix to get the data then check against the others.

You should ensure the replacement module has the same size AND timings for smooth operation.

Use the numbers off the Hynix to get the data then check against the others.

Ok going on the idea that timings is CL. Thank you very much for your help and I'll stop bothering you now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back