Computer freezes on startup but only after restarts

Hi, I have an issue with my computer.
I run Win7 and lately I've had the problem that my computer freezes on startup - in fact, just as the first pixel of the Windows logo lights up on the screen it just won't go any further. The screen keeps saying "Windows is starting" but I can leave it like that for hours and nothing will happen.

Then I tend to press the start button and leave it for a few hours at which point it'll start as normal (complaining of course that Windows wasn't shut down correctly and if I want to try a repair or start as normal. I've tried both options and neither makes a difference - It'll start as normal.)

It also starts normally if I don't do a restart.
So the problem always happens if the computer was on, then turned off and then turned on again within a shorter period of time.

Another - and possibly related problem, is that when I work with my folders and move stuff around in them, I oftenmanage to overwork them so they will not show the files properly anymore or open them.

Solutions tried:
Reset to a previous point where I knew it worked
Insert the Win7 CD and asked it to repair
Asked for it to repair any possible problems after turning off windows incorrectly and getting the option during startup

Neither of these have worked

Run a hard drive check by going to Computer, Properties, Tools, check the box to fix errors and schedule a check on next start up

Ok, I tried that.
It went through the test and didn't protest or freeze during it.
Then it restarted the computer and froze at exactly the same spot as always when restarting.
Can I find a file somewhere with the test results?

Did you ever see "fixing or deleting" anything while Checkdisk was running? If you did, the hard drive still could be bad

Well, it did say it was treating a number of things, but whether that just meant it was scanning them or actually doing anything to them I'm not sure about.

If there is something wrong with the hard drive, would it be likely to be a physical defect or a software defect.
Cause if it's a harware defect, the 'fix' would be to simply replace the harddisc I suppose

Yes, it might be a good idea to replace that hard drive and re-install Windows fresh. The re-install might show up any other problems with hardware too

Back