Computer freezes permanently, causing me to hard reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this problem for months, and now I am at the end of my tether. Basically if I have to explain it, this crash can happen any time any where. Browsing the internet, clicking an icon on the desktop, playing a game, watching a video, or just leaving the computer sitting there. It just stops...instantly, the clock stops, all peripherals like my bluetooth dongle turn off, however the screen doesnt loose its image, itll just freeze on what it was on, the power still functions and If I dont hard reset then It will sit there for hours doing nothing. On rare occasions I get a blue screen, very rare. I dont know if its hardware or software, Ive done RAM checks, they all come out fine, everythings upto date driver wise. But this happened when I had vista installed, now I have windows 7 and its the same problem, just alot more frequently, at least once or twice a day, or it wont happen for days then out of nowhere bam, computer crashes.

I used a program called everest to get my computer specs, but it got LOADS of info, 108950 lines to be exact, so I dont know how Iam going to be able to tell you my specs, as I cant put links in, If I could Id place it in rapidshare, rapidshare.*com*/*files*/*405101940*/Report.txt.html

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I actually just used CCleaner earlier today, those files are gone, the minidump ones, I actually just spoke to a friend, he told me he thought it was overheating. So he told me to go into my bios and see what my warning and shutdown temps were, they were disabled. So he told me to set warning at 65 and shutdown at 70, so I did. There is one game that I try to play all the time, It runs for approx 4-5 minutes, its called global agenda, after 4-5 mins, the game completely freezes the computer and thats the problem I posted about originally, but this game like clockwork after 4-5 mins would crash it, Ive just played it for 2 hours lol. Not a crash or a glitch to speak of, so Iam wondering, what exactly did I do? lol, by changing those temp settings I dont understand what could have fixed the computer. Of course its only been about 3 hours so it could crash later, if it does I will post the files you requested

ok, it just crashed again, kinda hoped that It had been fixed, was playing global agenda for like 5-6 minutes and it crashed. I went to check the folder you told me to look at minidump in C/windows, the folder is empty

Does your system freeze at any other time, i.e., other games, video streaming, etc.?

its completely random, I could be on my desktop, move my cursor to click an icon, bam it will crash, watching a video, playing a game, video converting, web browsing, or just leaving the computer sitting doing nothing. Also completely random times, may happen once or twice a day, may not happen for 2-3 days, but it will happen eventually, recently its been much more frequent, cant get by a single day without it crashing at least once

Okay, then let's do two standard and very solid diagnostic steps based on your symptoms. The first is to run Memtest on the your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. because this requires significant time many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

The second diagnostic step is to update your video card drivers.

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I have the exact same thing... Route44 may remember me, or not. Although with me, it just started a few weeks ago and it has got worse. It started with every 30 minutes or something I had a freeze. And now, it has gotten so bad, that I have a freeze every 2-10 minutes. And just like you I mostly get my freezes while playing games and sometimes my computer will run games just fine for an hour and then bam another freeze. But the weird thing is, I've checked everything (or almost), and it wasn't anything like ram or processor or bios or cooling or ... So I ran virus scanners. Atleast 4 of them and only superantispyware found out that I have a trojan in my system. First I thougt it could be a false positive, but as it was the only thing that wasn't normal in my system, I tried to remove it, but it kept coming back. I ran even more programs but they all failed to find the trojan and instead they found out that the trojan was messing with my system, damaging files, deleting system files (which made me even get more problems), infecting system files, changing my IE settings, and tons more. Now the only thing that leaves me to do is buy a new computer. I'll try to fix my computer for a while more, but I've almost given up. Well anyway, I wish you good luck in trying to fix the problem.

Isn't reformatting like erasing everything of your computer? I won't do that, because then I would have so much work getting all programs and stuff back, takes way too long. Backupping things would be almost impossible too as I get so much freezes... Anyway, thanks for helping me out, but I guess this is goodbye (hopefully) :p Thanks again, probably going to get a new pc soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back