Computer Freezes with Certain Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so, I just got back from vacation, turn on my computer and start up AIM. Computer freezes. I reboot (not much of a choice there). Then I open up Pinnacle Studios to record my XBOX, freezes. I then proceed to reboot and try opening TuneUp Utilities to only have my computer freeze again. Also freezes with Internet Explorer. Of course, I can use other programs for the most part, but as of now I'm not sure which. I've checked my event log and according to that, I have errors with Google Update, Media Center Receiver, Service Control Manager and Security Center. I've tried Ad-Aware and a bunch of other spyware tools and have failed to stop this issue. I'm hoping someone here can help with this issue, I have NO idea what's wrong and I can't post my Hijack this here cause it contains too many characters?

Could be as simple as a hard drive issue, or a memory module failure...
We find it best to go back to the most simplified system you can setup... Hard drive, one memory module, cpu, cpu fan... retest.
Then change memory modules and retest
Use a new or borrowed hard drive, install windows and restest...
Now download and run the free MemTest86. Run it on each memory module separately for four hours or seven passes, which ever is longer.

These problems are much more common on Media Center Editions, and much more difficult to fix. but of course they can be fixed.
Adaware and most spyware tools are not useful for this test. I would not use them at all.
After the hardware test, I would install and run Avir Antiv or Avast antivirus, then SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and Windows Defender.
Scan with each. Post the resulting logs here...
Take a look at some of the 8 steps tests posted on TechSpot, after you give the basic run through above.
It would be helpful to have your computer brand and model, hardware configuration, hard drive, memory brand and type, etc. so that many techspot peole can comment.

I've checked my event log and according to that, I have errors with Google Update, Media Center Receiver, Service Control Manager and Security Center.

The information above doesn't help. You need to give us all three parts of the Error in the Event Viewer: The Event ID#, the Source and the Description.

The Security Center problem could be related to malware.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back