PC Freezes & won't open anything

Hi there, I have a weird problem. Earlier today, my PC started acting up in a way that it starts up normally, but 2-3 mins later it freezes. I'm still able to right click and refresh and might be able to open the my computer folder, but other than that it doesn't respond at all.

Doesn't shut down, doesn't open any apps, browser or anything and the problem persists no matter how many times I reboot it by unplugging and re-plugging the power cable.

The thing is, even my laptop did the same shortly after. Not sure how there could be a connection, especially since I've tried everything from using a different cable, disabling internet connection, uninstalling some programs, etc.

However, nothing changed.

Can you please help?

Hi there, I have a weird problem. Earlier today, my PC started acting up in a way that it starts up normally, but 2-3 mins later it freezes....

Any chance that you have Avira Antivirus installed?
The article explains an issue that some have reported with this product.

Even if you don't have Avira, I would suggest trying to disable your Antivirus temporarily, or boot into Safe Mode to see if the issue still persists.

Hi there, I have a weird problem. Earlier today, my PC started acting up in a way that it starts up normally, but 2-3 mins later it freezes. I'm still able to right click and refresh and might be able to open the my computer folder, but other than that it doesn't respond at all.

Doesn't shut down, doesn't open any apps, browser or anything and the problem persists no matter how many times I reboot it by unplugging and re-plugging the power cable.

The thing is, even my laptop did the same shortly after. Not sure how there could be a connection, especially since I've tried everything from using a different cable, disabling internet connection, uninstalling some programs, etc.

However, nothing changed.

Can you please help?
If both your PC and laptop are experiencing freezes shortly after startup, here are some quick steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check for Overheating:
    • Ensure cooling systems are working properly.
  2. Disconnect External Devices:
    • Remove all external devices to rule out malfunctions.
  3. Update Drivers:
    • Update graphics and chipset drivers.
  4. Run Antivirus Scan:
    • Check for malware using antivirus software.
  5. Check Event Viewer:
    • Examine Event Viewer for critical errors or warnings.
  6. Windows Update:
    • Install all pending Windows updates.
  7. Memory Test:
    • Run a memory test using built-in tools or Memtest86.
  8. Power Supply Issues:
    • Verify stable power supply and try a different outlet.
  9. Check Network Connections:
    • Ensure stable internet/network connections.
  10. Restore to Previous State:
    • Consider using System Restore if the issue started recently.

Back