Computer freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wylder

I've posted about this issue before and thought I had a solution but it has started to occur again.

My pc locks up during 3D applications constantly. It's a hard lock (no mouse and keyboard use) until I physically reset the machine. I've replaced my motherboard, RAM, Video card, and processor. I've tested another power supply and all the components work fine. I've run Memtest for over 36 hours per stick (2x) of RAM and they have also turned out fine. I even purchased new RAM just to be sure. My PC still locks up in 3D applications.

The funny thing is there are no logs of any errors after reboot. No crash report, no video card driver failure, nothing. System specs are below:

Asus P5N-D Mobo
Intel Q9300 Quad-Core
4gig Cosair XMS2 RAM (2x sticks)
Cosair 620 Watt PS
Nvidia 9800GT (Tried an ATI 1950X as well)
Windows 7 Ultimate (RC) (Installed this after the same issue kept occuring in Windows XP Professional)
No other devices or cards in the box.

Can anyone help?

**edit

I forgot to mention that this only happens with 4gig of RAM installed. I've run for days on 2gig (1x stick) and haven't encountered an error. I have tried each RAM slot independently, as well as in multiple configurations.

do u have x32 or x64 os. if u have x32 go in for a x64 it will use the whole 4gigs

I disabled 2 cores in my processor and it's been working fine for over 24 hours now. My current processor is already a replacement from one I sent it over a month ago. Could it be bad?

why did u disable 2 cores!?

I disabled 2 cores because I did not want to RMA the processor again and wait another 2 weeks to use my PC. It's been months of various RMAs and I had not really been able to use my machine. Since disabling 2 cores "fixed" the problem I just left them disabled.

I do not use my machine for a lot of 3D applications or intense processing so I do not notice a performance hit unless I am using multiple CPU hogs at once (e.g. AV scan + defrag). I will eventually RMA this processor as well. Most likely right before the warranty goes out. I wanted to mention it here because it did temporarily solve my problem and allow me to use my machine without error.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back