Old SDD; New Computer

Good afternoon all,

I've seen this topic a lot on here, but not the same issue I'm having.

I already installed my old SSD (from my broken Toshiba laptop) into my desktop (Dell Inspiron) and it's working fine.
I noticed when I check my computer information, it gives me the correct CPU info and correct RAM info, but it still says my computer is a Toshiba Satellite P845.

Questions are: Will this affect anything? How do I change it to read correctly?

I already tried updating the BIOS for this Dell, but they are current. Not sure what else I need to do.

Thanks ahead of time!

I suspect the reason that this is happening is that you installed a SSD that has a copy of Windows that is licenced to the Toshiba hardware and when you just slipped the SSD in without out wiping the partition info off the SSD and reinstalling Windows, you have laptop Windows that saw new hardware of the Dell desktop chipset and just did it's best to grab drivers for it all and try to work. I think it would have worked better with a full reinstall but it is working, who am I to say eh?

There is a small chance that Windows might come back to you someday down the road and say "There is a license problem with this PC, since it has changed significantly since its last boot" (What with it being a Dell now instead of a Toshiba). I guess there is also a chance the activation servers will see the Dell is entitled to a Windows 10 license and not bother you about it all. Microsoft is not that forthcoming with this kind of info.

So I was reading about it last night, and I figured I could give you guys some more background information.

-The Toshiba laptop originally came with Windows 7, but I did the free upgrade to Windows 10.
-The Dell desktop originally came with Windows 8.1 installed, but it did not have a hard drive when I purchased it (some random old lady selling it on Facebook Marketplace)

I had an HDD installed with Mint, but when my laptop broke, I decided to throw the SSD in there as a 2nd drive.

When I installed the SSD onto the Dell desktop, and booted from it, it took a while to work. It restarted twice after a long startup, but then the 3rd start up was the quick, normal Windows 10 startup. It's been working fine since.

I also have Microsoft Office 2010 installed, and I had to reactivate it. It wasn't accepting my original key, but I opened Word and it asked if I wanted to reactivate. I hit accept and it was activated immediately and has worked normally.

I have seen no issues yet.

So I was reading about it last night, and I figured I could give you guys some more background information.

-The Toshiba laptop originally came with Windows 7, but I did the free upgrade to Windows 10.
-The Dell desktop originally came with Windows 8.1 installed, but it did not have a hard drive when I purchased it (some random old lady selling it on Facebook Marketplace)

I had an HDD installed with Mint, but when my laptop broke, I decided to throw the SSD in there as a 2nd drive.

When I installed the SSD onto the Dell desktop, and booted from it, it took a while to work. It restarted twice after a long startup, but then the 3rd start up was the quick, normal Windows 10 startup. It's been working fine since.

I also have Microsoft Office 2010 installed, and I had to reactivate it. It wasn't accepting my original key, but I opened Word and it asked if I wanted to reactivate. I hit accept and it was activated immediately and has worked normally.

I have seen no issues yet.

Ok well the drive that came from the laptop still could have a licensing issue down the road. You would think that if it had a problem, it would have popped up by now. The multi reboots bear out...the drive had drivers for the Toshiba and when it saw the Dell it had to download all the drivers...chipset..LAN..sound etc..and multiple reboots to install those. I'm glad all is good. Just go with it as long as you can. If ever it says that you can't run that copy of Windows you will have to do a fresh install and match up what they Dell had before (likely Home or Pro) and don't input a key and what it will do is pull the Win8 key out of the BIOS and upgrade you to 10. =)

Back