Computer has power but will not boot past initial screen

Hi I have a Compaq presario CQ5320f

Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra6)

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 240

Memory:3 GB PC3-10600 MB/sec (message as PC3-8500)

Hard drive:500 GB SATA 3.0 Gb/sec 7200 RPM

I have had the computer for about two years and never had a problem, one night i went to bed and turned off the computer and the next day it was not working. When i turn it on it just stays at the compaq logo screen and does not respond to any keyboard commands. If I hit the keys while it is turning on I can access the Bios menu, boot menu and system check, I can not access the system restore option. The system check shows everything as passing. I have switched out power supplies and no difference. I have used and old hard drive from another computer and it will boot up to the windows logo and then reset to the initial start up screen and be unresponsive. I tried plugging my hard drive into another computer and the screen was all crackly looking. I am by no means a tech expert I just would like to recover information off my hard drive though it would be better if i got the whole thing working properly again.

Thanks for any help,
David

Hi David,
you can't move Windows boot hard drives from one PC to another without having problems. Your going to have to get another hard drive and install it as the C drive, then re-install Windows. Then take the "bad" hard drive and install it as a second drive to get any files off of it

Is that what you think the problem is, the hard drive? I did take out the 'bad' hard drive when i tried the old one. I was wondering if this could be a motherboard problem.

Well you have to try a clean install of Windows to rule out hardware faults. If you can't complete the Windows install then we move on to hardware

Back