Computer having problems, possibly malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaMsTeYr

I'm having a bit of trouble with my pc, and I'm not quite sure now if its software or hardware level. What is happenning is that my pc would experience a freeze (lockdown) but not an instant one. If i was playing music before, the music would go into super slow motion then finally to a freeze where only a hard reset can bring it back.

It first started appearing only when i surf the web, but now it seems to extend beyond that. It hardly happens when i'm gaming, but only when i'm accessing the web one way or another.

I'm running Bit Defender AV 2008 and Outpost Firewall Pro.

Hi HaMsTeYr,

Welcome to Techspot!

My name is Blind Dragon and I will be helping you with your Malware problem. During the course of our interactions please be sure to follow all instructions carefully, and ask questions if you are unsure of how to proceed at any point.

Please have a read here-> Is your system infected? Read this before Cleaning or Formatting

If you decide to clean your system please follow these Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and post back in this thread with the requested logs. There should be at least 3.

1)MBAM log
2)SAS log
3)Hijackthis log (last step)

This thread is for the use of HaMsTeYr only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

All of the items in MBAM say -> No action taken.

Please make sure to let it fix anything it finds malicious.

==================================

I would get rid of BitDefender if it is the free version as it doesn't have real time protection. If you have the paid version you should keep it obviously. I can recommend some free alternatives that include real time protection and would probably catch this rootkit/backdoor problem you have. Let me know if you have paid or free version of BitDefender

If you have the paid version we need to disable real time protection for this next program to run properly

Go to SecCenter -> Settings -> Antivirus and un-check the checkbox for Realtime Protection.

===================================

Combofix
  • Download Combofix to your desktop.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • A window will open with a warning.
  • When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log.
Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Combofix is a very powerful tool so please do NOT do anything without instruction

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

MBAM couldn't delete them so it put them into quarantine, i'm not sure why its shown as no action taken. I just checked and those file are now in quarantine.

I'm on BitDefender paid, and i'll try to turn the program off this time around. I'll return with the results.

EDIT: MBAM didn't detect anything new, and while ComboFix did, i accidentally overwrote the files by running ComboFix twice so i don't have the log to show for it...

Anyway, the problem hasn't occured since then so i'm not sure if its resolved or just dormant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back