Computer issue

computer dell laptop inspiron 1501
windows xp home

Hi, I will be majorily impressed if you guys can fix this problem. Last night, I was on the computer and out of nowhere the screen goes to "Internet Explorer Can not connect." I run the basic stuff to try to fix it "repair wireless router then reboot" and I find there was a much deeper problem because when I hit Internet Explorer it took me to the option of how do you want to open this program. I immediatly hit up SuperAntiSpyware and first load defintions, it got to the end quickly but then stalled. Im being patient and the stupid computer shuts down because I hadnt touched a key in ten minutes. When I try to get back on it boots up and stalls on a black screen. I tried loading in safe mode and it takes me half the page down and stalls. So, I go to the next option and reinstall windows and nothing comes up so I reorder the bios to make it boot. Everythings going good and I get to the setup screen and it wont let me select anything. After this happened the startup discs do not even boot up any more. I tried starting from last known config and it takes me to a black screen. I tried to do some research and it appears the computer is stuck from what I read. I am lost. Any help would be awesome. Thanks Joe

If you are still here, let's see what we can do to get you unstuck.

Please tell me more about your system.
  • It looks like it might be about 4 years old?
  • It looks like you suspected malware? Your reasons?
  • Has the laptop recieved any rough use (bumps, drops, packed in luggage handled by others, etc)?
  • Have you done any modding (overclocking, changing memory, etc?), recent adding of Hardware or Software?
  • Is the use environment dusty? Is it possible you have a heat problem?
  • Which sp are you running...
    • xp home sp1?
    • xp home sp2?
    • xp home sp3?
  • Anything else you can think of that I haven't mentioned.

And... Have you looked at the stickies at the top of this forum? There are some very good suggestions for initial first steps.

If you have gotten help elsewhere, please let us know.

xp service pack 2
its 4 years old

Thanks for repyling. I have read and read all over about how to fix this and nothing. I do have a new issue that came about it say's computer file is corrupt isapnp.sys. I went to the microsoft site and did the repair from there something like ren etc with the spaces and it keeps telling me file is missing.

When I go into setup, hitting F2, under ATAPI CDROM it say's none. I cant get there to change it, nor, do I know if thats possible. My Bios order is fine. If I can get my cd going we will be fine because I can do a re-install.

When I hit boot menu and F 12 it only gives me 3 options no matter how i re-order the group. I beileve your suppose to have more than this anyway

fixed disc Toshiba
pci bev
diagnostics

I think its spyware because I did have a virus a week before this happened and I did a system restore and it worked fine for a week.

lmk and I appericate this

Since you suspect malware, I would suggest that you pay close attention to the stickies at the top of our virus and malware removal forum.
Meanwhile, I think Lookingaround may be able to address the cdrom issue. I will ask him to look in on you.

I will be gone a few days, but did not want to just leave you hanging.
I will be back by the weekend.
Meanwhile... the anti-malware approach may be fruitful.
And, LookingAround may have a solution on the cdrom.

Hi Swoosh88

Ouch! Sounds like you've been hit with multiple problems :(

But let's address what seems to be your main problem just now (i.e. your CD drive, as you also note)

When I go into setup, hitting F2, under ATAPI CDROM it say's none.

If your BIOS can no longer detect your CDROM drive, 99% chance it's a hardware problem (e.g. time to get a new CDROM drive) (note BIOS not detecting your CDROM drive is a very different scenario (as to possible reasons) then Windows can;t detect your CDROM drive)

I'd suggest your first step is going to your local brick and mortar computer store to get a new drive. (so should you discover the problem is something different or more serious e.g. the motherboard you can easily return the CD/DVD drive if need be)

Back