Computer Keeps Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjagaiden

I have an HP pavilion ze4800 that runs on an Athlon XP-M Processor with Windows XP SP 2. I downloaded an alleged Active X update yesterday and the computer crashed a few minutes later. I kept getting the blue screen. I ran a few times in safe mode today, but it crashes once I open an application. The blue screen gives an error that "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine."

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hey ninjagaiden

Try uninstalling the update that you installed.... also try a System Restore to a point before the update was installed (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore) .... Another option is to insert a Windows XP cd and use the Repair function when it loads by pressing "R" on request.....

Hope that helps

Spyder_1386 :)

It sounds like you've been infected. If that is the case I suggest going to the Security and the Web forum here at TechSpot and read the stickies there because they contain valuable advice.

Try the the advice and if you still have issues post them there.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. So far, I tried unchecking all startup items while in safe mode and then restarting in normal mode. The computer only lasted a few minutes longer before crashing. When I started up in normal mode, I immediately got an Internet security pop-up advising my machine has a M32.Myzor.Fk@yf virus. Does this sound legitimate? I also tried going to two previous system restore points, but both failed. I also started up in "Directory Services Restore Mode (windows domain controllers only)"; I'm not sure what this means, but it also crashed in this mode. I read some of the security and web forum postings. If I have very sensitive info on my machine, it suggests to reformat my hardrive and re-install the OS. Is this what I should do regardless of whether I have a virus, a registry problem, or both? Furthermore, how do I determine where my problem is?

What does the error "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer" mean?

Sorry for the questions overload.

M32.Myzor.Fk@yf virus is definitely a legitimate infection. Google it and you will see tons on the internet concerning this infection.

As I had previously written I suggest going to the Security and the Web forum here at TechSpot and read the stickies there because they contain valuable advice.

Don't reformat yet! That is a last resort. Follow the stiky advice and don't skip any of the steps. There are some very good and knowlegeable people at that forum who can definitely help you.

Getting your system clean is your first priority.

Hey ninjagaiden

If your computer wont last long once you start it up you can try making your hard disk a slave on another computer.... however, that pc will also run the risk of being infected.... making your disk a slave will allow you to run a scan through the other computer and delete the infected files.... then, using a Windows cd, you can repair your copy with the repair function....

For malware/virus etc removal, check this page... https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Hope that helps

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back