Computer not booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrtdy

Normally when I start my computer, the computer beeps 2 times and than starts up. but now recently when i start up my computer. There is no mouse, keyboard, monitor or anything. The tower fan just starts up. and the hard drive light is not even flashing.
The only way to shut it off is to manually remove the power cord. Does anyone know a possible cause of this? Any help is great! thanks!

pc specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ processor with AMD 64 Technology
(2.2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2)
Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
Memory: 512MB DDR (1 × 512MB), 400MHz (PC3200)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available

*edit: After 3 hours later, i tried starting up my pc, it booted up slow, way more slower than normal. and
whenever I try to start up a game, the graphics are all choppy. I would guess that i am getting 2 fps. -.-' and whenever i start up a new application, on the screen for a split second i would see a couple lines that would go horizontal across the screen and than disappear.
Also, this started happening yesterday, when i started a game, played a bit and than put my pc on standby, and it never started up again. Until now at lease, but everything seems not right. Is my graphics card going bad?

heres some additional info:

Zenosincks said:
Probably either a faulty PSU or motherboard. Try a known working PSU in your PC.

i have had this computer for 2 years and never installed any new hardware, i tried installing a graphics card once. but than i took it out. And it just started happening yesterday. and before that day i didn't do any changes to my computer. except starting up and playing a game for a bit. Thats it. so maybe its my motherboard? Can it go bad over night?

I would set your sights on the PSU before the motherboard as it's generally uncommon for motherboards to fail (at least in comparison to PSUs).

Any component can fail "over night".

Either borrow or buy a working PSU and take things from there.

Zenosincks said:
I would set your sights on the PSU before the motherboard as it's generally uncommon for motherboards to fail (at least in comparison to PSUs).

Any component can fail "overnight".

Either borrow or buy a working PSU and take things from there.

ok, but is there any other hardware that can possibly cause this? like graphics card?

In theory, sure. However, given the symptoms you've stated, and working off common sense and probability - it's safe to point your finger at the PSU (at least to start with).

well i don't have another psu I can replace with in this household, so I would have to go buy a different one -.-'
what is a cheep replacement?

Err, actually, I hadn't seen the following edit:

*edit: After 3 hours later, i tried starting up my pc, it booted up slow, way more slower than normal. and
whenever I try to start up a game, the graphics are all choppy. I would guess that i am getting 2 fps. -.-' and whenever i start up a new application, on the screen for a split second i would see a couple lines that would go horizontal across the screen and than disappear.
Also, this started happening yesterday, when i started a game, played a bit and than put my pc on standby, and it never started up again. Until now at lease, but everything seems not right. Is my graphics card going bad?

Are you given any errors at all? Have any blue screens of death? It would help if you could create an organized time-line of what you have done and experienced. Things are sort of all over the place up there.

Is there any way you can borrow a PSU from a friend's PC? Given the above edit, it's still possible that your PSU is defective, however, not likely.

How do your PC's temperatures look?

You might want to consider testing your RAM with Memtest86, and cleaning the inside of your PC. A good dusting goes a long way :).

nope, no blue screens of death, just black screen with no display :S
I just turned on my pc, it was last on 12 hours ago. So its nice and cool.
and I'm not sure how to use the memtest86 thing..

Please, try and organize everything in your next post. You're listing things that you've experienced before, after and my simple mind can't handle it :O.

Just because it was off for a while means nothing, they heat up pretty damn fast ;). Try opening your case and dusting it with a can of compressed air. Reseat your devices and cables.

To use Memtest86 you need to download the .iso, burn it to a CD as an image and then boot off it. Let it run for a minimum of 7 passes (which is going to take hours).

i looked at the bios beep guide. and it says that "Memory parity error- A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad" can this stop my computer from booting up/functioning normally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back