Computer not powering on, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazzareth91

Hey people,
I'm new to these forums but I have a problem.
I have a computer right (basic details below:)
Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz
2gb ram (4x 512mb sticks)
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS 512mb gc
Motherboard (Albatron PX865PEC Pro socket 478)

And i cannot fully remember back to what actually led up to it, but it just won't power on at all. Now you may be thinking the basics like checking power cables and that everythings plugged in and connected properly but I'm no amatuer, I know my computer knowledge. Everytime I've had problems I've been able to fix them but until now I'm caught in a rut. At first I thought it was that my power supply failed (ASTRO 500watts Form Factor 'ATX') but I tested it on another computer and it powered fine and had been working well up till when my computer stopped powering on. I've tried unplugging and reseating all the devices including, ram, video card, hardrive, cpu etc. and carefully connecting them but no budge. I do not know whats wrong. My 2nd thought as to why it wouldnt power on was maybe that the wires on the front panel indicator weren't properly connected like: (HD LED, RST, PWR-LED, PWR ON, PWRLED, SPEAKER) and were stopping the computer from turning on. But I've tried reading the motherboard manual and reconnecting them but still no response. I've tried taking out certain devices that also may be stopping computer from turning on. But I'm beginning to think and heard that if the cpu heatsink isn't properly seated firmly on top of it that it can cause it to not start??? Same as having processor not seated properly, and I'm thinking maybe that could also be a possibility. But I would like some advice and help for my problem, assistance from someone please because I don't want to spend money or getting it repaired without knowing what's actually wrong with it.
I'm waiting and open for any ideas and assistance please
Sorry for the big paragraph, thanks in regards.

I had a similar problem years ago that turned out to be a bad power switch on the front of the tower.

Bad memory module will result in what you describe on many motherboards. Bad CPU fan. Bad video graphics card. Bad hard drive. Bad device in PCI slot, even if not used, such as modem or audio card.
Despite your test, try another power supply in your computer, rather than trying your power supply in another.
Watch the fan blades in the power supply with a decent light. Do the blades turn 1/4 to 4 turns then quit? Then watch the blades on your CPU fan
Tell us more about the board, hard drive, and age of the system.
I am betting on memory or hard drive.

I've already tried using the working psu from this computer, connected it and tested on mine but still it didn't work.

I've done so many tests by taking out devices, limiting it down. There is no response when I try to power it on, nothing slightly starts then powers off, or even starts for abit then fails, its just basically dead and from what I'm seeing there is no response. I'm not sure whats causing the problem. Ive tried basics by taking out the ram, hard drive, pci slot devices and try powering it on. Also taking the cpu out and making sure its properly seated.

Maybe faulty power switch could be the issue.. causing it not to start.
And fastco how did you find out thats what it was to do with bad power switch.

farout theres so many different things that could be causing this.

What do you mean tell you more about the hard drive and board
My gear is fairly recent, the motherboard
Albatron PX865PEC Pro socket 478
Hard drive 80gb (none sata connection)
Age of the system is not that old.

Prob around year, or a little more.
but my cpu is the most recent, hard drive got of a friend late last year after mine failed, motherboard is probably oldest to a year or a bit more and same as video card, and the ram

(Its just so frustrating and i no others experience this to, and you dunno what to do next whether to buy new stuff or what.)

First, look for a disconnected cable leading from the power switch to the motherboard.
Second, look for the power switch losing its springy response. It will feel dead.
But you can use another switch from other units or just short out the wires.
If you have not already done so, remove, and reseat every cable on the computer.
Motherboards rarely fail, but I am beginning to think maybe this is one that has gone south.

I know what you mean, its hard to get my hands in the to fiddle around with stuff cause the retainers for the hard drive braces are in the road. And yes from what i see they are connected from motherboard corner to the front panel. Button still seems to have a springy response. How can I use another switch from other units or when you say short out the wires. .... thanks for help

the power button completes the circuit on the header block on the motherboard, so all you really need to do it find the appropriate pins on the header block and bridge it, you can use an insulated screwdriver to do this for a ugly test. Although looking at what you've tried already it is looking rather terminal for your motherboard... defo sure you have all the PSU cables plugged in to the motherboard? its something i overlooked once (much to my embarassment :) ).

heres a picture of a motherboard with the little button cables attached to the motherboard header :MotherBoard Headers from this image you can see a couple of pins on the header that have nothing on them.

so in your case you'll have something like this that the power button connects to, if you pull this cable off (remembering which pins it is connected to) and then manually complete the circuit either with a insulated screwdriver tip or maybe place a spare jumper over it (while its turned off at the wall) and then power it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back