Computer not Powering Up. PSU or Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuK134R

Hey everyone,

Recently my computer has been acting funky. The green LED on the mobo is lighting up, but when I try to turn it on. The fans will spin for half a turn and the comp. will turn off. Thinking that it was a short, I took the mobo out of the case, tried it again, no success.

I'll need to find a multimeter pretty soon to test the PSU, but what I did so far was to short the ON(Green) and Ground(BLACK) pins coming from the 24-pin. I can hear fans spinning when I do that. I connected it to a harddrive while shorted, and sure enough, the hard drive began to spin. Also, I got the cheapest PSU I could find at Fry's, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had blown out.

MOBO: ASUS M2N32-SLI
PSU: Thermaltake 430 NP

why dont you try hookin your psu up to an older crappy computer you dont use and see what happens
if the same problem occurs than you know its the psu
if not than we can keep troubleshooting

good luck

Okay, I just bought a new PSU. No luck :(. So is this my mobo or is there something else involved in the mix?

i guess its your mobo
i cant think of anything else it might be.
but dont take my word for it.
i might be wrong.

good luck

I've had a similar issue with a MSI K9MMV and two seperate PSUs a 350W and 450 W, you need to disconnect the power cable in the back or turn off the switch. I hardly ever turn my computer off so it's not a big inconvenience for me, and I have had no adverse side-effects from it either. It's just odd. I've had the computer since January of 2007. It still runs beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back