Computer not powering up while CPU power cable is connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
So some months ago I bought the parts for my comp and put it together and it worked just like I'd hoped.

Now lately I've been having more and more problems, first when I booted my comp it would power down giving me a message that the SB was overheated (even though my comp hadn't been turned on since last night.

So I thought it was just a fault in the thing that would show the temperature, since nothing I've done before has made anything in my computer warm at all, not even playing or anything.

Now this morning I wanted to turn on my computer and it turns on for less than a second (all fans running, harddrive and power supply running) everything seems to have power as usual, all the LED's lighting up when I power up my computer.

So I have spend all morning trying to figure out what it might be, and I can now get my computer to power up, but that is if I take the CPU's power cable out, as soon as I plug it back in the computer shuts down.

I'm running with:
Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
6 GB Corsair 1333 MHz RAM
1 TB harddrive
Nvidia GeForce 295 GTX

I'm using an Antec 1200 case with 6 build-in fans
using a Zalman CPU fan cooler for the CPU

What I have tried so far is to take out most plugs and plug them in again, changed the heatsink paste on the CPU and nothing of it works exept for when I unplug the CPU power cable.

I really need all the help I can get.

i face the same problem. everything dead if i plug only the 4-pin mobo connector, beside cpu.

turns out, the mobo's the culprit... u might check for the same symptoms also...
*mobo connector plugged out = fan spin, plugged in = fan did not spin.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the power supply. What do you have?

I have a ThermalTake 1000 W power supply, and could you explain me some of the terms you use in here as I'm not used to them sorry.

By resetting the motherboard you mean clearing cmos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back