Computer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rill420

i just bought a custom pc and it was working fine for a few weeks. suddenly i started get the blue screen of death every once and a while, i could reboot and continue using my computer. Now for some reason my computer is dead, i cannot run windows. Right as it is about to load windows,(after the screen where the symbol "-" blinks a few times, it freezes at a black screen. I cannot boot from windows disk and i also ran memtest with no problems detected. Someone on the forums said it could be a power supply, i changed that with no luck.
some specs-
p5d-n motherboard
4x ddr2 1gig patriot ram
geforce 9600 video card
600 gig sata hard drive

any help would be greatly appreciated, any questions please ask, thanks alot!

Have you tried booting in safe mode (press F8 a few times before goes to starting windows)

if you can start in safe mode then go Start> Run> Chkdsk C: /r.

or Try Last Known Good configuration.

Have you tried booting in safe mode (press F8 a few times before goes to starting windows)

if you can start in safe mode then go Start> Run> Chkdsk C: /r.

or Try Last Known Good configuration.

will not let me go into safe mode =(

Can you get into the bios? You cannot boot from a Windows install disk until you do, and set the CD/DVD drive at the top of the boot order. No boot of any description is bad, bad, bad, but once able to boot at all, a solution can be found - even if it shows your hard drive has failed. Yet you say you have run memtest86. Presumably this was before the total failure you have now, and from Windows, right?

Can you get into the bios? You cannot boot from a Windows install disk until you do, and set the CD/DVD drive at the top of the boot order. No boot of any description is bad, bad, bad, but once able to boot at all, a solution can be found - even if it shows your hard drive has failed.
yes i can set the boot order, i set it to cd/dvd first with no luck anyone have an idea?
ps-i ran memtest after all this had happened, and memtest worked fine, windows does not.

anyone have any good ideas, i already have enough money into the computer, dont want to have to bring it to get checked today and pay more $$, thanks alot

ps-i ran memtest after all this had happened, and memtest worked fine, windows does not.

So how and what did you boot off to run memtest? When I know that, I can suggest what else you can run to diagnose the problem.

For how long did you let memtest run? Did you test each strip of ram on it's own? Can you run a manufacturers test suite on the hard drive? You havn't even told me if I am dealing with XP or Vista yet. Does another bootable CD of any description work as expected, for example a bootable Linux?

So how and what did you boot off to run memtest? When I know that, I can suggest what else you can run to diagnose the problem.

For how long did you let memtest run? Did you test each strip of ram on it's own? Can you run a manufacturers test suite on the hard drive? You havn't even told me if I am dealing with XP or Vista yet. Does another bootable CD of any description work as expected, for example a bootable Linux?

sorry i wasnt too clear, and thanks for the help, much appreciated
i ran memtest with all memory sticks in 4x 1g, for atleast 12 hours. i did not run the maufacturers test suite as i do not know where to get this. We are dealing with xp service pack 2. No other bootable windows disks have worked for me , tried xp pro with no luck. i havent tried a linux cd yet as i will tonight but i am at work as of now, thanks alot.

I want you to do 1 of two things

Borrow a copy of Windows install CD (any variety) or any other bootable CD such as Linux. Does it boot?

If it does not boot, borrow another CD drive. It is beginning to look as if it may have gone bad. Try disconnecting the drive and then attempt a normal boot.

No make that 3 things. Answer the question posed. Q: 'What did you boot off to run memtest?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back