Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstar

How you doing guys, new to the forums...having some PC problems.

Here is what I am running:

XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU
4x OCZ PC2 6400 1GB RAM
Nvidia e-GForce 8800GTS graphics card
2x Seagate 500GB HD
Rocketfish 700W power supply

Now this is the first computer I ever put together myself about 6 months ago and everything was running fine until a few weeks ago I started getting blue screen errors...always a new one each time.

So I read up on some things on this forum and ran memtest overnight...I checked in the morning to find 300000+ errors on only 1 pass...so I took out the other RAM and checked each one..in each slot...and throughout there were no errors at all.

After reading some more I thought maybe they were not getting enough power..so i upped the voltage supply from 2.1 to 2.5...now when I boot up my peripherals wont come on (Monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.) but everything else comes on like fans and stuff...aswell i hear no beeps or anything.

I tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper, but that has done nothing....now im stuck, and truly dont know what to do...and was hoping someone might.

Thanks,
Brandon

Those are a nice set of components you chose for your computer, Brandon. I'm taking a guess that all you see is a blue screen? Just to rule it out, set the BIOS so that just the on board graphics are used, not the graphics card, then see what happens.

I dont even see a blue screen; I get nothing...the fans run and everything, but the monitor, and other peripherals don't come on.

To truely get a real good CMOS reset you should unplug the PC and remove the motherboard battery if you can and then move the cmos jumper and let it sit a minute then put everything back. If you do not want to remove tha battery or don't know how leave the jumper in CLR CMOS for 5 minutes with the PC unplugged from the wall. It was not a good idea to boost the memory's voltage like that, you may have ruined both sticks now.

I would stay away from Rocketfish (bestbuy branded), I am familiar with their 700watt power supply which is really a 550-650 watt supply by Huntkey (depending on who you believe) that BestBuy re-labels as 700watt

How you doing guys, new to the forums...having some PC problems.

Here is what I am running:

XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU
4x OCZ PC2 6400 1GB RAM
Nvidia e-GForce 8800GTS graphics card
2x Seagate 500GB HD
Rocketfish 700W power supply

Now this is the first computer I ever put together myself about 6 months ago and everything was running fine until a few weeks ago I started getting blue screen errors...always a new one each time.

So I read up on some things on this forum and ran memtest overnight...I checked in the morning to find 300000+ errors on only 1 pass...so I took out the other RAM and checked each one..in each slot...and throughout there were no errors at all.

After reading some more I thought maybe they were not getting enough power..so i upped the voltage supply from 2.1 to 2.5...now when I boot up my peripherals wont come on (Monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.) but everything else comes on like fans and stuff...aswell i hear no beeps or anything.

I tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper, but that has done nothing....now im stuck, and truly dont know what to do...and was hoping someone might.

Thanks,
Brandon

A: Rocketfish 700w are junk, get a more reputable stable power supply
B: Did you mean you upped the cpu voltage or ram? Either way, that is a huge step up, and you may have toasted something.

Well doing what appzalien said, I got the peripherals to power on but only about 50% of the time, however it tells me I need to change the frequency of the memory..while in the BIOS configuration, after a minute or so it will freeze on me.

and the reason I bought the rocketfish was because I worked at bestbuy at the time, and the staff price was hard to pass up...but now I see why.

Try reseting the cmos again and this time leave the jumper for a real long time, like 30 minutes (still with the PC unplugged from the wall) sometimes it takes a while for capacitors to drainout completely on some systems. Then when you get to the bios immediately set system defaults or safe settings what ever they call it, not optimal.

That "change your memory settings" sounds dismal. Its almost as if its automatically setting the memory speed and timeings too high and causing the crash. You need to try and run it with only one stick, if memtest passes with one stick but not two that should be a hint. I have heard of people saying they could not start their machine with two sticks in but by putting in one, starting and shutting down and putting in the other they got them both to work.

Check your rams timings and voltage recommendations at the OCZ web site for your exact model number, and make sure you get the bios set exacly what they recommend. Lately new memory (especially DDR2) and motherboards are a real pain the the ****. 800Mhz often gets auto read as 667 or 533 and then the timings do not match and the board has a fit.

Well I managed to get my computer back on and running from what Appzalien was telling me and I have adjusted the voltages and timing accordingly.

However I still get blue screen errors just as I was before messing around in the BIOS. Like I said if I run memtest right after a crash I will usually get about 300000 errors on first pass, then for the next 7 or so passes nothing. and I have checked each slot with each stick and no errors. Still trying to figure out the problem here, all 4 of my sticks are the exact same aswell.

Seems your RAM sticks might be having a conflict. I work at a local computer Tech store and have seen this twice this year, it is weird.

Even with the same brand, same speed, same memory, they crash when together, and work fine apart. Either in Single core or Multi-core mode, eitherway the computer crashes when both sticks are in, and runs fine with 1.

I Would try running 2 sticks at a time, see if you still get errors, then try another pair, and another, (only switching out 1 stick at a time.) So go: 1,2 1,3, 1,4 (see where u have an error, if all 3, then switch 1) And keep going.. Either one is having a conflict with the others, or your motherboard may not like them either.. You would think you would have seen this error when you got your computer but same with the peoples computer I worked on, they worked fine for months then suddenly they stopped.

Hope it helps.

I have tried the mixing and matching of sticks; getting no errors on any yet still getting blue screens.

it has been quite a few different ones over the past few weeks

one was

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

another

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

and some another ones that I did not take note of.

is it possible that my power supply has lost power and not supplying enough to certain areas, because i have taken one memory stick out for now and i haven't seen anything since yet.

Well, It might be that RAM stick then. But best way to test your power supply is to have a tester (A piece of equiptment that tests the rails on the power supply) to test ram just get Memtest 86

Well I have tested my sticks each single one in every slot without errors on memtest with at least 7 passes for each stick. So I am having my doubts about it beings the memory

Ok, well 2 things to try. Video card, or try and find a specific thing that enitiates the errors, so trying to play music/videos anything that repeatedly causes it, if its random this will be harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back