Computer randomly crashes, no BSOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put in a new processor and HD, re-installed Windows and all the latest drivers, but my computer seems to randomly freeze up, not a black screen or a restart, it just freezes the picture on the monitor and nothing works anymore, I have to press reset to get it working again.

I haven't figured out if it's a graphical error or not, because if it is, might it be a good idea to install a slightly older version of my videocard driver?

Do any of you guys have any ideas or suggestions?

1. do you need a bios update? read: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic75555.html
2. run memtest 86+ booted from a floppy/cd for at least 7 passes
3. check your PSU
4. check your drivers.
5. if your problem started when you changed CPUs obviously it is a cpu issue or related. your graphics card wouldn't be the issue.

Tedster said:
1. do you need a bios update?
In one of the BIOS updates on the DFI site it says: "2.Support AMD Athlon 64 FX60 CPUs." Could that be for my CPU too? Even though it's not the same model.

Tedster said:
5. if your problem started when you changed CPUs obviously it is a cpu issue or related. your graphics card wouldn't be the issue.
I recently replaced the CPU, yeah. The old one was a AMD Athlon 3700+. And a new HDD too, I had some problems with that, but I used RMA to get a new one. Windows wouldn't install on it, after some Google searches I found out it's a HDD problem. After getting a new one, Windows installed like it should.

rik said:
Without knowing even the basics of your pc, nope.

You don't need to know spec's to be able to help someone, maybe someone else has had the same problems before and knows what it is.

But here you go:

Mainboard: DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Videocard: Ati Radeon X1950 Pro
RAM: 2x1GB Mushkin
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar T7K500, 500GB
PSU: Silverstone ST65ZF
Optical drives: Asus DRW-1608P3S, and a second CD burner, Samsung I think.

Edit: I'm searching Google now too, and someone on a forum said it could be a problem with Windows XP too, that some versions have bugs that cause random freezes. Is this possible? :S

Edit 2: The computer froze up during the Windows XP install, so it's definitely a hardware problem. I'm going to try to install my old CPU back and see what happens. But could it be my PSU? Although I think 650W should do it.

Edit 3: Just put in the old AMD Athlon 3700+ again, installing Windows XP atm, see what it does, maybe it's the new CPU is the problem.

It's the CPU. I put my old one back in and it worked without problems.

But why doesn't it work? My motherboard supports X2 processors and I think 650W of power is enough.

rik said:
Does it perhaps need a bios update to support it fully?

My BIOS date is 2005/12/07 and on the DFI site is says;

Major Reasons of Change:
1.Enhance Memory Support.
2.Support AMD Athlon 64 FX60 CPUs.
3.Add over clocks step by step.

about that version. The newer version is 2006/04/06;

Major Reasons of Change:
1. Add CPU temperature calibration option.
2 . Fix S1/S3 temp error after resume.
3 . Fix startup VID option fail.
4 . Fix C 'n' Q .5 multiplier not working with opteron CPU.
5 . Fix day of month alarm can not set as 0 for every day usage.
6 . Fix ATI X1000 series logo error.
7 . Remove Write CAS latency item and replace it by Odd Divisor Select.
8 . Add support for SST 49LF040B LPC flash ROM

It doesn't say anything about X2 processors. I'm just gonna send it back and hope the next one will work. Or should I update it with the WinFlash program (I don't have a FDD drive) and hope for the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back