Computer randomly shutting off after downloading/playing game

Hi, I am new here and I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I downloaded a game from Bigfishgames.com which I have done about 10 times in the past. I was playing it and about 5 minutes into it, the whole computer shut off. It did it again a second time. I then uninstalled it and re-installed it and the same thing happened again this time after about 10 minutes.
I scanned for viruses (did CCleaner, Malware Bytes, MS Security Essentials) and found nothing.
I found online that it might be an overheating problem, but I am wondering how that could be because the game is quite simple and doesn't take as much energy to run as previous games I used to play (lots of Facebook games using FLASH), etc.
I played a very similar game to this one for the last week about an hour each day.
Is there something else that could be wrong or ?
Thanks for your help!

Are you playing on a lap top or computer desktop? Do you hear fans working? Also what is your specs on the computer? It could be a heating problem but check to see if all fans are running.

Run compressed air though the vents, holes, and grills of your computer (when powered off), then allow 2-3 hours of time to leave your computer alone. Unplugged.
#DONT let the fans spin when you blast the air through them, it wears the fans out.

#If you get a ton of dust coming out, that was likely your problem. Like any tool your computer needs cleaned and taken care of. Once a year is minimal recommendation.

Hi, thanks for the replies! I do blow out the computer about once every 6 months. I had actually done that a couple months before this started and again back in March. I bought a fanless cooler to put on my video card, but have just not had the time to install it yet. I downloaded another game and it cut off after about 20 minutes. It's always the games from Gamehouse, but never if I play games on Facebook or when I am running anything else (like when I am in Picaso, or playing a desktop game or in Office or whatever). I guess I need to just find the time to do that cooler thing... it's just so complicated looking, so I keep putting it off. Thanks again for all the replies! :D

A simple way to tell if it is indeed a heat issue (and your system is a PC and not a laptop) is to take off your case's side panel, take a small fan and on low setting have it blow directly into your system, and then play the games that would cash on you. If they are playable and there is no crashing then it is a heat issue.

If they continue to crash then you might be looking a driver issues.

Back