Computer reboots before Windows Loads

I have a computer that reboots before Windows fully loads. On some occasions the PC will turn on but the monitor, mouse and keyboard are unresponsive (they don't light up). I do a hard reboot and it will either turn back on and the mouse etc. will be unresponsive, it will ask if we want to scan disk for problems or the PC will reboot. It BSOD once.

As the PC is old (about 8 years) I assumed it was the PSU (other computers on site become unresponsive when the PSU is about to die) so changed it but that didn't help.

2GB RAM
Networked
Running Windows 7

If you need to know any other info then please ask...I can't think of anything else.

Thank You

Sorry to say, it may not be the PSU - more likely is corrupted boot record, a failing HDD or a bit of corrosion on a connection somewhere. If I use unfamiliar terms, google is an aid.

There are key steps as a computer starts. I can guess, but only you can confirm. From your description it seems that the system starts, completes POST, does not give beep error codes (multiple beeps), and starts its business of 'bootstrapping' (reading some code to define and find some resources). It is during this step that it goes for the weeds, finds it is in unfamiliar territory and aborts - either to a freeze or to an attempt at reboot or a FIX-ME.

Before going anywhere, please confirm this is so OR correct my understanding of your system. Specific detail - movement and sound help.

Do go into BIOS setup and make sure that 'automatic restart on error' is OFF. You want to see any reports of errors. Hope there are some as this will help.

If I was correct about your situation, I would suggest (in order of expense and time):
- download memtest86, put on CD, change BIOS so boot from CD is first, run it overnight from CD
- booting from an installation copy of Windows 7 and using the 'repair' option
- downloading HDD maker's utility, putting it on a CD and booting up the HDD test

It would be really good news to hear:
- you can get into BIOS

- memtest86 boots and runs (best, without error overnight!!)
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6216-memtest86.html

- Windows 7 installation disk boots without error

- HDD makers' utility booted and worked

If none of these will work, unplug HDD and try memtest86 again.

Waiting to hear...

Back