Computer shows nothing on screen but powers up

Kf21291

Hi guys its been years since I been on here but I am stumped.
I bought a "new" motherboard a socket 478 to replace my older 478.
My processor is a Celeron D 3.06 ghz
Ram: 512mb
video card: FX-5200 128mb?

both boards are pretty old fsb 533 and 1.1 usb...yeah..

This computer are parts from my closet and really want it to work, except the board I bought because I thought that was the problem.

newer board
AOPEN AX45-533

older
p4vxad+

When I put the computer together I got both of the boards to power on but no screen posting or anything.
I took out the memory same thing
Took out the video card, same thing
Now I put in a dead P4 processor and that got hot but same thing(powers but no screen), that was weird because the Celeron D that works I put in was cold.

Now this got me thinking, maybe these boards are so old they don't support a Celeron D and maybe I have to buy a old pentium 4. could this be the problem?

Friend of mine just had an old graphics card die out, luckily he had onboard video as well to test. No extra agp card laying around?

grab a known working, compatible cpu and try that out. Try something basic like a 1.6ghz p4 or something. If it works, then its a CPU compatibility issue.

Im not sure what the fastest CPU the Aopen board can support is as i cannot find a proper CPU support list for it. But im pretty sure that if it is a CPU problem, which it sounds to me like it is, then the 1.6ghz p4 will work.

I think it might be the CPU not compadible with the motherboard. I will have to get a older p4. Really wished i knew this before buying another motherboard when my old one was fine. Thanks.

Sir.. try to configure your boot settings in CMOS. make your HDD as 1st boot device.

One thing, do you have an O.S already installed? if none, try to install new O.S (XP / Vista / 7)

Sir.. try to configure your boot settings in CMOS. make your HDD as 1st boot device.

One thing, do you have an O.S already installed? if none, try to install new O.S (XP / Vista / 7)

That wont make a difference. The system isnt posting, so its not a problem with the boot device or Windows. Its a hardware problem. Im fairly certain the CPU is incompatible with either the board, or the boards bios revision.

Just a suggestion why not try checking the type of data cable that goes from the PC to the Monitor I too faced a similar problem when powering up my HP a6635 (off the shelf PC) but it seemed that I needed to use DVI instead of the VGA cable. Using the VGA left the screen blank but when I used the DVI it functioned normally.

Hope I have helped

Back