Computer shuts down (hardware?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was playing Warhammer online earlier.. and my computer shut-off on me. I thought my brother was playing a bit of a joke on me.. he claimed he wasn't. The problem became more frequent through out the day and it became a hassle.

I cleaned all my fans. Heat sink.. and just removed typical dust from the case. That didn't do any good whatsoever. I removed my video card (9500gt) and I saw a bit of progress.. I was browsing these forums looking for fixes and alot of people seemed to think it was temperature related. I downloaded speedfan..

My temps were fairly good (40c) for most.. but Core and Remote were unbelievably high. Impossibly high tbh. 112c? Between 50-112c.. I'd have a melted CPU if that was the case.. but the issue is.. there was very little heat coming from my computer. The air-out was cool for the most part.

Any suggestions? It won't even boot upconsistently now.. if it shuts off it won't boot up for ~5 minutes. It's an old rig.. It might just be time.

Specs:
Compaq
9500 GT vid card
2 GB ram (1x1024, 2x512)
~300W power supply
AMD Athlon 3500+

Anything else that would be helpful?

Suspect Core and Remote cannot read your CPU properly .. check in the BIOS for temps if they are that high..
Time to upgrade??

Suspect Core and Remote cannot read your CPU properly .. check in the BIOS for temps if they are that high..
Time to upgrade??

Very probably. Would you recommend turning off the 'power off' feature via cpanel? How exactly would I go about checking my BIOS temps?

EDIT: I've got the computer booted up.. and after removing a stick of RAM and my video card.. just running firefox my temperatures are running normally.

img36.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedfannorm.png
img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedfanrunning.png

The first is my computer idle.. the second is if the fans kick up at ALL.

Got my BIOS temps.. it read off around 88C. That's extremely hot.. and to be honest it simply does not feel that hot to me.

Computer is stable but I suspect the moment I stress it at all.. it will power off once again.

EDIT: Yes, once stressed.. it shuts down. I think my comp is nearing the end of its life.

Did you take the heatsink off? Did you put it back on properly & did you use thermal grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back