Computer shuts down when i remove my camera memory card from my multicard reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

welchs101

Hi,

My computer has not always done this but it has started to do this all the time now.

I have a multicard reader installed on my desktop.

I have a Nikon digital camer with a memory card in it. The card is not full.

When i put the card into the multicard reader.........everything is fine. I am able to copy / delete pictures as i want. However, when i remove the memory from the multicard reader my computer shuts down.........

How it shuts down. It closes all applications.......actually asking if i want to save anything. Its almost like someone told it to shut down.

Sounds like either driver issues or a defective card reader. When the system shuts down and you reboot it does the system run normal?

Then there is a good chance the card reader itself is bad. Is there any way you can update the drivers for card reader? Give it a try and if not then you probably need to look into a new card reader. Is there a brand name or is this simply a generic one? Is your system still under warrenty?

* One other thing, have you tried any other cards in it? if so, what are the results?

I tried looking for a driver but i had a hard time finding one because your right i think it a generic reader made in china.

No name that i can find at all.

All it says on the box is "65 in 1 USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED Internal card reader/writer"

thanks for your help

So you have only tried this one card or have you tried using the card reader with another brand/card? If so, are the results the same? We're trying to determine if it is the card reader or the card itself.

Also, is your system prebuilt and if so by whom and we also take it this came included with the system?

I built the system myself.......well i put it together. The card reader was something my wife wanted for pictures. It has worked fine with no issues for about 2yrs.....then all of a sudden when ever i take out the memory card my computer starts shutting down.

I have not tried other cards...........let me see if i can find another to try.

Good: You have tech knowledge and you know how to build. Newegg has a number of card readers and MWave has a few nice ones as well.

Have you tried using the Safely Remove Hardware icon before you remove the card? See [post=753513]How to Avoid Problems with USB Storage Devices[/post]

Have you tried using the Safely Remove Hardware icon before you remove the card? See [post=753513]How to Avoid Problems with USB Storage Devices[/post]

Oh, excellent point! I completely forgot about that. I know the card readers in my HP printers don't require this but since this is an internal card reader failure to to use the Safely Remove Hardware icon there in may be the cause. The only thing is is this USB driven?

Oh, excellent point! I completely forgot about that. I know the card readers in my HP printers don't require this but since this is an internal card reader failure to to use the Safely Remove Hardware icon there in may be the cause. The only thing is is this USB driven?

The card readers are connected to the USB bus internally (don't know if any exceptions but i've found internal card readers always appear as USB devices)

On the one hand, i'm still not sure why that should cause the computer to shut down but interesting to know if it that's a work-around or affects the problem or not

The card readers are connected to the USB bus internally (don't know if any exceptions but i've found internal card readers always appear as USB devices)

On the one hand, i'm still not sure why that should cause the computer to shut down but interesting to know if it that's a work-around or affects the problem or not

And to really show my ignorance welchs101 even posted that it said on the box it is USB. I think I am reading too many minidumps.

LOL

Nahhh... i do the same all the time.. In part, i think a side effect of bouncing back and forth between threads and (at least in my case) if we were playing a game of "hangman" I think i've already got the "A" and "L" in alzheimer's!

LOL

Nahhh... i do the same all the time.. In part, i think a side effect of bouncing back and forth between threads and (at least in my case) if we were playing a game of "hangman" I think i've already got the "A" and "L" in alzheimer's!

Now that's funny! But you are right, I handle too many posts and then I forget - at times - whose issue is what.

I have not tried to remove the memory card the way you described. Would using the "eject" feature work ......this is what you mean ....right?

Doing an Eject should include the "Safely Remove" function for you as wel. But note, there is a specific "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. Please see the link in my post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back