Computer Slow After Repairing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfasdfasdf

My computer has been extremely slow after repairing windows, and I don't know if this is normal or not. Before it was repaired, it wasn't slow at all. It became extremely slow after repairing Windows, and I was wondering if there is any way to fix this. I have tried reinstalling SP4, updating my windows (Microsoft Updates), reinstalling Direct X 9.0c, and defragmentating my C Drive. I have also tried scanning my computer for anything bad (e.g. viruses, spyware, and malware) although I didn't see the point of scanning because my computer ran smoothly before I did the repair. Unfortunately, none of them is working, and my computer is still too slow. It's even a killer when I use the internet on my computer so coming on to this forum took a lot of time.

What version of Windows? From the sounds of it you are using Windows 2000, as you mention SP4.

A repair install is a great recovery method, but I wouldn't rely on a repaired install for the long term. I would suggest backing up data that you need to keep, then reinstalling fresh. You may also want to check the event log, particularly the system log, for any warnings that pop up - if you find any, particularly if they relate to services stalling or crashing or any hardware notifications, you have a starting point.

Curious... did you ever determine *why* a Windows repair was necessary?

The underlying cause could have something to do with it. Check Start > Run > eventvwr.msc for any errors. Let us know if you find anything interesting, like I/O errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back