Computer stopped working.. PSU? Help me troubleshoot

am21

my pc stopped working suddenly........ it could be due to lightening :( .. but i dont see any burnt chips

my friend checked and told me that power is not coming from the cable (the one we connect to the wall socket) later we found out that the fuse was burnt.. after replacing the fuse also the same problem. then we checked the psu and came to a conclusion that it must be the cause for the burnt fuse.

any idea what could be the real cause ?

here is my psu

http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/report/Epsilon_80PLUS_450W.pdf

it has all the lightening and short circuit protection ;)

What protection are you using? Is the ethernet lead (if used) also surge protected?

If the fuse has blown in the lead, and having replaced that (and confirm your mains socket is OK) and it still doesn't work, it could be the motherboard - Assuming your PSU is working.

Its possible the surge has got into the computer by other unprotected means. In the meantime, double check your not getting power from the PSU by fitting it to another computer if you can. It's possible your motherboard is fried, and your PSU is OK - I doubt it though, both probably are.

P.S. I've seen the lightning damage caused by a unprotected router and its ethernet cable into a PC - It didn't matter that the PSU was surge protected, the router wasn't, and neither was the ethernet lead and it took everything out.

we checked using a multimeter before and after replacing the fuse (the black power cable which is connected to the main power outlet) first time it didnt show any power coming from both power cable and power supply rail cables.. then we checked the power cable before connecting to the psu to make sure its working.. lastly after connecting it to the psu the fuse got burnt again :(

PS: unfortunately i dont have any surgeprotection not evn a ups

it has all the lightening and short circuit protection ;)

PS: unfortunately i dont have any surgeprotection not evn a ups

You do, or your don't? :haha:

If you don't, your PSU is likely buggered (by the sounds of what your saying), and you won't know if anything else is until you can power the computer back up again. Its possible everything is OK, but in some cases it takes other components out with it as well.

Either way, purchase a decent surge protector that can also surge protect at least one ethernet cable as well, and plug all your PC stuff and router into it!

sorry i thought my psu had short circuit and over voltage protection according to the manual lol ;)

Back