Computer to dvd audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronKloot

Hi, I have a DVD player with a six speaker system, though I do not have one of the speakers. I have hooked my computer's audio through the headphone jack. When playing, only three of the speakers work: the SUB, Front L, and Front R. I don't know why the other three are not working, all of the speakers are interchangeable. When I play a CD, the same thing happens. Can anyone help? Is this eve the right forum?
Thanks so much,
Cameron

are those speakers for home theater system?

how many audio plugs does it have when connected
to your DVD player?

you must have a 5.1 channel sound card (on-board or PCI)
on your computer to get those 6 channel speakers to work.

turbo1 said:
are those speakers for home theater system?

how many audio plugs does it have when connected
to your DVD player?

you must have a 5.1 channel sound card (on-board or PCI)
on your computer to get those 6 channel speakers to work.

they are for a HTS. how many plugs does the headphone jack have, running to the DVD player? Or how many outputs does the DVD player have? There are two running from the headphone jack, and 6 from the DVD player to the speakers. Even if I don't have a 5.1 channel sound card, shouldn't the DVD player play CDs in surround sound?
Thanks

ok,so its a home theater speaker system.
(sorry for that 5.1 channel sound card)

it should work then,unless the other audio outputs of your
DVD player went bad,have you tried swapping around your
other speakers?so you would know whether their already clipped
or not.

CameronKloot said:
When I play a CD, the same thing happens

I have tried swapping all the non-sub speakers in and out, along with swaping all the cables. Everything works fine for those three jacks.
Thanks

not really sure how your speakers were connected to your
DVD's outputs.

3 jacks for 6 speakers?
ie: 1 jack for center/sub,1 jack for front L & R,1 jack for rear L & R?

There are 6 jacks (sub, FC, FL, FR, BL, BR) but only three are working (transmitting sound) Now only the jack for the SUB and the front left and right speakers are working. I can change all the wires and speakers arround for FL and FR, but non of the other jacks are working.
Thanks

from post # 1
CameronKloot said:
I have a DVD player with a six speaker system, though I do not have one of the speakers

i had an experience with Bose acoustimas series 6 that the receiver (amp) does not allow to fill
the sound to some of the speakers without plugging in all the speakers.took off the center speaker
& the other speakers dont work,took off the right & left (front/rear) the other speakers
likewise dont work.not really sure if that feature is within the receiver or the speakers itself.
its just that,some of them dont work unless all the speakers are plugged in.

the amp's output is not a jack though (screw type terminals) but the logic is the same.
some of them wont work unless the whole set of speakers are hooked in.

if you have a spare of terminal plugs/leads (same as your speakers),even without the speakers,
then you can try plugging that to the output of the missing speaker to fill in the gap.

if you have tested all your speakers by plugging them to the working outputs &
all of them gets sound,then there's a problem with your player's 3 outputs.

& you might also want to check if your player is set to surround sound or
anything that has something to do with audio enhancements.

Hmmm, I plugged in all the wires (i have all six) but it didn't work. It's a Toshiba system. I guess it might be the outputs aren't working; is there a way to remedy this? Maybe a place I can get a replacement speaker...? I might try ebay.
Thanks

do they come in set? (package)

specific model of your toshiba please.

& the speakers as well.

that's the speaker system

available in ebay

i dont know if the description is correct (at ebay) but it say's:
Left/Right/Center Channel Speakers

but if your player's other 3 outputs are not working you might end up
same thing.are you sure all the speakers are working? & not the
player's 3 audio outputs?

if that's the case,then its your player that needs replacement.

OK, I will look for a replacement speaker, and if that works, you won't hear from me. Otherwise I'll be back :) Thanks for all the help.

Umm...I'm just going to add something in...if you connect your computer into a HTS, it only uses the front and subwoofer. That's because the audio jack on the pc only lets out 2 channels, the front left and right. Same goes for my TV. My TV only puts out 2 channels of audio, so I only hear the 2 front speakers being used on the HTS. The DVD player outputs 6 channels of audio, that's why with DVD you hear full surround sound.

And for the DVD...I occasionally forget to change to surround sound mode while I use my HTS. See if there is a selection to change it.

Oooooh, that makes sense.. is there a way to circumvent this by default? How do you change it to surround sound? I don't have the manual for the DVD player...

from post # 8

turbo1 said:
& you might also want to check if your player is set to surround sound or
anything that has something to do with audio enhancements.

check your player's remote contlor if you can see a button
for surround sound.

or the control buttons directly on your player.check & see if
you can find the surround sound from main menu's GUI.

you can load a DVD disc with surround features to test the sound.

how about the front panel control buttons of your player?

ie: menu button

you can see them (featuers) on your players' display window when you
scroll the arrow.

There isn't a menu button. :( Im looking into buying a remote control for the machine though. Would a remote of the right model work with the DVD player, even if it's a replacement?

edit:
and is there a way to achieve this from a hardware point of view?

yes,if available.

update:

CameronKloot said:
edit:
and is there a way to achieve this from a hardware point of view?

you can't,you need a switch,& that's the surround sound button.(remote control)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back