Computer will even not Start, Dead Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Just thought I would post this out of desperation. Here is my situation. I build my first computer two days ago. It worked, it ran for seven hours or so. Then the next day it randomly shut off so I thought it might have been due to the heatsink fan not being properly installed. So I reattached the heatsink and place everything back together. Now it will not even start, no fans going on any peice of equipment. It will not boot up period. The motherboard lights come on but thats it.

These are the things I have tried.

1. I Bought a new power supply to see if mine was an issue. It would still not boot up.
2. I have made sure all the cables were plugged in correctly.
3. I tried booting up with nothing attached but the heatsink and cpu and still a no go.
4. I was going to try removing the battery on the motherboard when i got home and reattaching that.
5. Did my cpu burn up because my fan wasn't on correctly? I think it would at least boot up if it was..
6. If the motherboard is dead, I can exchange it. I just want to make sure I have done everything I could to figure out why it will not start.

Not sure if anyone could give me assistance but it would be great if anyone could help me.

Thank you for responding. I was nervous about not attaching the CPU heatsink properly but even if it started to overheat, wouldn't it shut down for saftey reasons? I just bought all this equipment 2 days ago so its all new. I have an EvGA 780i SLI motherboard. What about my power switch on the front of the case? I don't know how it would stop working but it might?

I am still thinking about this.

1. Power switch could be malfunctioning, how would I go about testing this or bypassing it?
2. I was also thinking that maybe it is touching the case somehow? I have all the bumpers in the correct spots. Can I test it outside of the case? is that safe?
3. I also read something about the front USB ports sometimes frying the motherboard, although I don't know how that is possible since i matched the pins up perfectly and it did work when it first ran for 7 hours.

Motherboards often will fail in the first hours of running. I run all my new builds 24 to 48 hours before I give them to my customers. I doubt that the CPU is fried. If the heatsink/fan was that far off the system would have shut down after just a few minutes. Did you apply thermal paste between the CPU and its heatsink?

Yes I did, It was a little loose but I took it off and clean off the thermal compound with 91% alcohol and firmly placed the heatsink back onto the cpu and screwed it in. When I put it all back together it won't turn on now. I already have the RMA approval. Why do you think it failed? It ran for 7 hours perfectly. The cpu looks clean, no pins are bent on the MB or cpu. If the cpui was fried then I think if would of shut off well before that?

Notes to add:

Thermal compound was cleaned, reapplied and heatsink placed back securely on.

On a side note, will I have to reformat my hard drive again considering I will be getting the same board back if i go through with the RMA? It would suck to reinstall windows as well.

I said motherboards will often fail in the first hours of operation if they fail at all. Why? Maybe from manufacturing defects, or static damage from improper handling. If you are getting the same board you can use the hard drive from the old board without having to reload the OS

Awsome, do i just need to set my boot order to the hard drive and im good to go? Also I just got off the phone with them.

This is my conclusion.

I am going home tonight and placing the CPU/HS and power supply 24 pin and 12v connections and thats it. I am going to press the power button on the board itself. If it doesn't start or even show a post code, thats it right? That is one thing I forgot to mention. The lights go on but no post code shows, so for me thats the nail in the coffin, if it was the cpu at least I would get a post code reading on what the issue is about? or am I wrong?

Yes set the boot order to the hard drive first... Just out of curiousity, what is make and model is this motherboard? If you are referring to a 2-LED readout display on the mother board, there should be a readout of 00 or FF whenever power is present to the motherboard. If the display is dark, and power is applied, the motherboard is toast

Go to the exchange location.They can quickly and probably test it free.
Thats how i determined i needed a new one.

Nvidia EVGA 780i SLI MB.

I hooked up the CPU/HS and mainboard power, 12v power and nothing happened. The LED lights went on but the post code was not lit up, no codes at all, no 00 or FF, the display was dark. I went and returned it in the mail today. If it was my CPU then it would of displayed at least something right?

You really don't need to worry to much about the CPU being dead. Your motherboard would shut off long before the cpu got hot enough to burn, and the vast majority of processors last much longer than their practical use.

Hopefully you are not using the original power supply. If that was the original problem and it damaged your first motherboard then you could be dealing with a second damaged board.

It might be bad System Memory (RAM). Try swapping the memory chips and see if that changes anything.

-- Andy

For what its worth Nvidia has had on going issues with defective gpu"s failing.They have set aside 250 mil. to replace defective units.Read all about it just google a specific query regarding this issue and you will get tons of hits on this subject.I personally think this is the problem.
best of luck and keep posting.

Nvidia EVGA 780i SLI MB.

I hooked up the CPU/HS and mainboard power, 12v power and nothing happened. The LED lights went on but the post code was not lit up, no codes at all, no 00 or FF, the display was dark. I went and returned it in the mail today. If it was my CPU then it would of displayed at least something right?

The CPU is probably ok. If it were bad memory, removing the memory would cause a good motherboard to beep

What would the power supply done to fry the board? I have an ultra x3 800w power supply with modular cables to plug only the ones i need in...your right i dont want this to happen again. Just a note my computer died while running, if it was the power supply wouldn't it have occured on start up?

Good question. The problem may also be the PSU.

The PSU's job is to take the residential power and convert it to the various power specs for the individual components. If just one output of the PSU is not right, it can affect the computer from starting up. The way to check this is simple, just get a PSU meter. They're cheap and you plug the PSU MoBo output into it and the LEDs tell you if something is not right.

Best,
-- Andy

Well I bought a completely brand new power supply and it still didn't start up. So my assumption is my power supply is ok. I just don't want it to fry my motherboard or something. I am just trying to think of all options before i install this second motherboard. I read an article about the front USB ports can effect the motherboard but im not sure what they were implying.

Motherboards simply go bad sometimes. Just replace the motherboard and use the new power supply to be safe

Thanks for the link! I am not going to get a new powersupply as I tested it with two different types. What about motherboard standoffs? how many should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back