Computer won't power up

Hi all,

So I recently bought parts to a new computer but the darn thing won't POST. When I connect all the cables with only the cpu, ram, PSU, motherboard, and the power switch cable from my case I get a flash of the front panel's LED lights (not sure why that is because I don't have the LED light's cables connected to the motherboard) and that's it. I even took the setup out of the case and connected ONLY the CPU and mobo power cables (from the PSU) along with the CPU + ram in place and tried to jump start the system by bridging the power switches on the JFP1 connector. The point of that exercise was to see if the fan on the PSU worked, which it didn't.

I don't think it's the PSU because I read somewhere online that if I take a paperclip and bridge the green line with one of the black lines on the power cable for the psu, the fan would work. This was indeed the case. I also don't think it's the motherboard because I had two motherboards sent back thinking they were defective (if this 3rd one is DOA then lord help me...). So I wanna ask you guys if there's a way to test my CPU or RAM to see if they are causing this issue. I really hope it's not the CPU.

PS I have tried re-seating the RAM in addition to only using 1 RAM module. I also checked if its the right DIMM slot too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are my specs:
i7 4770k
z87 g41 PC Mate motherboard
2x4gb G skill Ares
Corsair CX750M PSU
MSI twin frost 7850
Corsair H90 cooler

Did you mount the motherboard properly? Modern motherboards only use 6 or less standoffs. Make sure that the motherboard is not shorting to the case

Back