Configuring ICS for 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

~Please Scroll Down to My second post as it explains my problem more clearly~

Hey guys, first of all, I do believe this belongs here, because my questions are about setting up the internet connection for the 360, not the 360 itself.

I would like to connect my Xbox to the internet, but I cannot connect the Xbox to the router physically due to distance limitations. And I really don't want to dish out the $100 for a wireless adapter. My computer happens to sit right next to my Xbox. My computer is connected to my Comcast cable internet connection wirelessly via a wireless network adapter. After looking into the matter, I discovered that you can in fact connect the Xbox to the internet via the computer's ICS function. However, after trying to set this up, I kept getting the "192.168.0.1 conflicting error." I do not have control over all the computers in my network, so I assume that they are using this default IP. I know this isn't very well worded, but I need help. Is there anyway to configure the default ICS port so that it doesn't require 192.168.0.1? If not, what all am I going to have to do to get the stupid connection running?

Also, if anyone knows of a less expensive known-to-work alternative to Microsoft's wireless adapter, I'd appreciate those suggestions too.

Thanks in advance guys.

Using a wireless adapter won't be the answer. I don't have experience hooking up an XBOX to a network, but I used to have problems with new computers introduced at my workplace, conflicting with my IP, it didn't matter if the PC was Lan or WAN, when the PC sets IP automatically, it picks a lower number, so all I did was increawe my IP to the point where it would require about 40-50 pc's before my IP gets another conflict.
I don't know why you can't control the other computers on the network, but if you can't change the IP on the x-box, one of the computers will need to be changed. A wireless adapter won't solve this.

Um..okay. I realize that my initial post was pretty unclear. So I wasn't suggesting that using wireless would fix the problem. Regardless of wired or wireless the ports, IP, everything is going to be the same, with the exception of how it's connecting. Using a wireless Xbox adapter is the solution to connecting to the network without going through the computer. It's my last resort because the one Microsoft sells is $100, which I view as too expensive for such a standard piece of hardware. Using generic adapters isn't an option however, as compatibility with the xbox is very limited.

I do not have control over all the computers in my network because I do not own the other computers, they belong to the other members of my family, and I wouldn't risk changing things on their computers.

The whole ICS plan is to be able to access the internet with my xbox via my computer. My computer is connected to the wireless network. Windows has the functionality to share the internet connection with other internet capable machines via Ethernet cable. The xbox 360 is one of these machines. I'm not well versed in the use of networks, let alone the Internet Connection Sharing function (ICS).

When I try to enable the ICS function, I get an error message that reads as follows:

Internet Connection sharing cannot be enabled due to an IP address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host to be configured to use 192.168.0.1 Please ensure the no other client on the network is configured to use 192.168.0.1

My question: Can you change the ICS's required host IP (192.168.0.1)?

If this is not possible, then can you at least list some alternative inexpensive wireless adapters that have been proven to work with the 360. (Thus throwing out the whole ICS need.)

I honestly don't expect to get this question answered. It's such a specific question that I really just hoped I might get lucky.

Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back