Connected to router and can ping externally, but not able to go to web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

maXimus4444

Hello TS!

My friend asked me to help them with their laptop. I can't seem to figure it out.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC.

The laptop is running Vista SP2

It grabs a valid IP address from DHCP. It can ping Google and Yahoo and any other web address. But the problem is, when you open a web browser (firefox, ie) it displays "Unable to connect"

I have repaired the connection. I have tried both wired and wireless connections. I have run the netsh winsock reset command at the command prompt. I am not sure what else to try.

Thanks for the help

maX

I did check for proxy settings. The browsers do not have any config for proxies. I've used multiple browsers too. Well only firefox and ie

It's an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC

It's operating using VISTA.

Using an Atheros wireless NIC.

The problem occurs everywhere I go. It's not just at one location. So wouldn't that mean that the modem and router are eliminated as the source of the problem?

The router is a linksys wireless router. I think it is a wrtgx0.

Plus it does the same thing when it's directly connected to the router (wired)

Have you tried Safe Mode with networking?
I'd do that first. If you're successful, this is a software problem, probably a setting. Then:
In Device manager, uninstall both adapters. In Network Center delete the connections if you can.
Reboot and re-create the connections.

hughva - I tried in safe mode with networking. something interesting happened. it could not pull an IP from DHCP. I am in the process of uninstalling the adapters and reinstalling them. will repost with the results

jobeard - i disabled ipv6 on the wireless adapter. i also created the Registry key called "DisabledComponents" and used the 0xFF value to disable IPv6 on all interfaces and prefer IPv4.

It did not correct the problem.

I just performed the tracert command to www.google.com and it worked correctly too.

I just performed the tracert command to www.google.com and it worked correctly too.
that's great news; this means you can resolve a name into an address
(eg: nslookup www.google.com. ) note the trailing dot

this is the prerequisite to getting a browser to work.

1) can you get to your email provider?

2) what's your default browser and do you have / have you tried any other?

3) did you REBOOT after the IPv6 change?

1. I can ping my mail providers domain. But I cannont access the page to logon.

2. Default browser was IE. I changed it to firefox. I have used both browsers to test the potential fixes that each response has provided.

3. Yes, I did reboot.

The nslookup comand posted the following:

Server: dns-cac-lb-01.rr.com
Address 209.18.47.61

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 72.14.204.99
Aliases: www.google.com

I also uninstalled the Wireless and Wired adapters. Reinstalled and again disabled the IPv6 in all adapters.

Still no fix.

ok; IPv6 is unnecessary for 99.9% of the world so keep that disabled.

Your TCP config is correct, so freeze that.

Your issue is now in the browser configuration.

Which Firewall are you running? Make sure you have allowed
port 67,68 tcp+udp both directions for any IP (this is DHCP service)
port 53 tcp+upd both directions any IP (this is DNS)
(just stating the obvious here as testing shows this is working now)

port 80,443 tcp outbound to any ip (this is the browser)
port 25,110,143 tcp outbound to any (these are email ports)

If that's all correct, then suspect browser hijacking and start the 8-step process

Well, the person whos' laptop it was needed it back. I think she is going to take it to geek squad or something.

Thanks for your help. I've never seen anything like that before. I will be sure to ask if they tell her what went wrong.

I appreciate your responses.

maX

Whadyathink

I was having connection problems.
Turns out, the computer name had errors in it, characters not allowed.
It was an underline.

I discovered this in setuperr log, which solved my other problems.
Went to control panel, system, changed puter name.

Turns out, the computer name had errors in it, characters not allowed.
hmm; The thread was originated by maXimus4444 and the HTTP interface
(ie the protocol for browsers) does not reference or depend upon the computer 'name'.

I doubt the relevance ...

The "Underscore" looks like a dash in the ipconfig file.
The network might have trouble with a bad name, but "KERRY-PC" looks like a legal name.

My point re names is that TCP doesn't care, port2 (25,110) email doesn't care and the port 80 HTTP doesn't care.

Only Microsoft port 138 lan name cares, so ping, email and browser will work regardless.

Since you can ping external IP addresses, your primary TCP/IP layers ARE working correctly but DNS (domain name services) needed to resolve websites by name (e.g. "www.techspot.com") isn't working. One possibility is your adapter isn't getting useable DNS IPs from router when adapter TCP/IP is set as a DHCP client- Solution: set valid DNS IPs (displayed in your router) manually in your adapter TCP/IP screen, then reboot. The other (do this FIRST) is really easy: Start> Run> cmd.exe, then in the CMD window: ipconfig /flushdns. That should flush stale DNS IPs from the adapter and force DNS IPs to refresh. Post back results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back