Connecting computers

learninmypc

Thanks to kind friends, I now have "extra" computers & would like to know if its possible to wirelessly connect them free. They are on the same wifi.
HP & Lenovo laptops, HP desktop & Acer all in one desktop.TIA :)

I've always had trouble keeping them connected. I have resorted to external media for file transfer. It is by far the simplest solution.

Yes, I agree, although I have never "tried" to connect multiple computers. With the exception of using that program where you can send files & I also think it can be used to remotely work on another persons pc, cannot think of its name now

I've used FileSharing for years between Win/98 SE server, my Linux Red Hat and my wife's Mac.
Just be sure to configure SMB 1.0

Last edited by a moderator:
SMB 1.0 config:

1. Click and open the Search Bar in Windows 10. Type Windows Features in the search bar. ...
  2. Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.
  3. Check the box net toSMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and all other child boxes will auto populate. ...
  4. Click Restart Now to reboot the computer.
  5. Sign Into the computer after reboot.

SMB 1.0 config:

1. Click and open the Search Bar in Windows 10. Type Windows Features in the search bar. ...
  2. Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.
  3. Check the box net toSMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and all other child boxes will auto populate. ...
  4. Click Restart Now to reboot the computer.
  5. Sign Into the computer after reboot.
It was already done on my HP , will check my other laptop & desktops

Set these services to Automatic (Win+R > type services.msc)
DNS Client
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host

For remote desktop access use TightVNC
You may also want to enable sharing on one of your PC's hard drives or folders so that its accessible to all network computers:
Right click a Hard Drive or a folder>Properties>Sharing Tab>Advanced Sharing
Untitled.png

UPnP Device Host is NEVER required behind a LAN Router. It's far safer to manage the ports manually so you know what the apps are accessing.

OUCH!! Sharing the C:\ drive is plain foolish (to be as kind as possible). A better share would be your %USERPROFILE%\Documents

Clarification to post #14
Do not share your C:\ drive.
Do not enable Upnp Service per joebeard.
Thanks for calling me a fool and not something worse. Your demeanor is beyond reproach. You may address me directly if you feel there are issues that need clarification. I am open to criticism and value the ability to learn from it. I naively assumed this forum would be above passive aggressive jabbing, especially from a "TS Ambassador," in the better interest of it's less experienced users. Clearly you feel as if I have challenged your monopoly on knowledge and experience by posting any instruction other than your own. Sadly this serves no one but your tech ego, which is generally a problem in the industry to be sure. But, much to your satisfaction, I don't feel the need to perpetually rebut your trivial nitpicking because you feel I've threatened your territory. Any further response is unnecessary, though I fear your
pride will not abide. Farewell everyone. Cue jobeards id.
Untitled.png

So sorry to see you go as you certainly have something to contribute. However, sharing the entire C:\ is foolish and when there are multiple logins on the system, that not only exposes YOUR entire personal data from your login, it exposes ALL users and some would get much more vocal that myself when they learn you expose the ENTIRE SYSTEM.

So, I'll stick to the polite notion that it is foolish to ignore security issues when making recommendations.

We all would welcome your continued participation -- including myself

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW:
foolish, adjective
(of a person or action) lacking good sense or judgment; unwise.
Systems ARE complex and frequently there are unintended consequences when making configuration choices. It's extremely easy to overlook some detail and end up with a choice that produces such an unintended consequence.

When working with teams, we learn to critique ideas and not to criticize people. Good ideas come from everywhere and everybody. Just because our personal recommendation gets shot down doesn't neglect the value of past or future contributions.

Personally, I am not fond of Windows and even less of Windows/10. I have no background in Windows Servers or administration (such as Active Directory and GPO policies) so I leave those domains to those that have that experience.

My background is in Unix, Web services, Heterogeneous systems and Security. Once in a while, these contribute in not so obvious ways.

Well, I'm going to jump in here & smply say since this is waaayyyy over my head, I'm simply going to use a USB flashdrive , thanks the info/help thou :)

No apology necessary, its just way over my tech level. I'm great at cleaning nasties off pc;s & laptops but that is about it. You're incredibly smart, I'm just slow, again, thanks :)

Back