Connecting two different networks together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am faced with a problem. In an office, there are 2 separate networks, both connected to the network through different gateways. My objective is to connect these 2 networks together so that machines on one network can interact with machines on the other network. I have attached an image with this post. The gola is to connect Network A to Network B. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Ani.

Attachments

• ReqdNetworkSetup.jpg
    ReqdNetworkSetup.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 37
And your budget is?
The maximum cable length is?
And the aveage IP speed in MBPS is at least 4 mbps?
You will have good luck switching to a LinkSys 8 port router, or a Linksys 8 port switch, or a Netgear 12 or 16 port switch.... if money is an issue.
Number one consideration is the quality of the cable. Be sure you use CAT5 or CAT6 with very high quality manufacturered plugs... no hand made stuff.
If floor space and walls allow it, changing the router is the best way to keep the staff from killing you. Otherwise, you will have a lot of tweaking to do... with downtime that might irritate the heck out of the ugly, mean guy at that one desk blocking the exit.

And your budget is?
The maximum cable length is?
And the aveage IP speed in MBPS is at least 4 mbps?
You will have good luck switching to a LinkSys 8 port router, or a Linksys 8 port switch, or a Netgear 12 or 16 port switch.... if money is an issue.
Number one consideration is the quality of the cable. Be sure you use CAT5 or CAT6 with very high quality manufacturered plugs... no hand made stuff.
If floor space and walls allow it, changing the router is the best way to keep the staff from killing you. Otherwise, you will have a lot of tweaking to do... with downtime that might irritate the heck out of the ugly, mean guy at that one desk blocking the exit.

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the quick reply.

Budget - Not much... cheaper the better! :) What they want is to make this work without (as far as possible) buying any new equipment.
The networks are very close to each other, so cable length will not be an issue.. the two routers are a few feet away from each other.
The speed is very high... in excess of 12 Mbps.
Cables are good I guess :).

What do I do to make this work?

Cheers.
Ani.

Overall, for someone who is not a network expert and doesn't know how to maintain it, I would still spend $85 for this Linksys - BEFSR81 - Etherfast 8-Port Cable/DSL Router... or add the 8 port switch to one of your two routers. List price is a lot more, but TigerDirect and many others have it for $65 to $85.
Lots of other possibilities, of course, but they would all require hiring somebody for an hour or two... You can string those two together, but again, you don't have the experience to trouble shoot.
Hire a smart tech for an hour or two... at $85 to $135 an hour, depending on where you are, or buy this LinkSys. We have them all over three counties and they require practically no maintenance or knowledge.
There will be plenty of people with other solutions... just pick something that doesn't eat up your time, or prepare to do a lot of reading and tweaking.

You have 2 internal lan's, but only one has a public IP and you want all the pc's to inter-communicate anyway? Then why have 2 lans? Your set up looks a little weird to me. How and why does your router on lan B not have a static IP, yet connects to the internet? You must have some other kit in place.
Are you running 2 separate DSL lines?
How are your pc's managed? Are you using a client-server environment?
If so, i'd just link both lans on one switch together, do away with one router and use active directory and group policy on your primary domain controller to manage the whole lan and who has access to what.
The speed is very high... in excess of 12 Mbps.
Err.....that's very slow fella, thats just over 10Base-T (2 megabytes per second data transfer)). Or did you mean you transfer data at 12 megabytes per second? (which is of course different and puts you in the 1000Mbit network region).

Sorry for all the questions. We're here to help....really :)

You have 2 internal lan's, but only one has a public IP and you want all the pc's to inter-communicate anyway? Then why have 2 lans? Your set up looks a little weird to me. How and why does your router on lan B not have a static IP, yet connects to the internet? You must have some other kit in place.
Are you running 2 separate DSL lines?
How are your pc's managed? Are you using a client-server environment?
If so, i'd just link both lans on one switch together, do away with one router and use active directory and group policy on your primary domain controller to manage the whole lan and who has access to what.

Err.....that's very slow fella, thats just over 10Base-T (2 megabytes per second data transfer)). Or did you mean you transfer data at 12 megabytes per second? (which is of course different and puts you in the 1000Mbit network region).

Sorry for all the questions. We're here to help....really :)

Okay, let me first state that I am located in Japan, so the available bandwidth we get from the ISP is in the range of 100 Mbps. :)

We have 2 internal LANs and 2 separate WANs too, but only one has a static public IP because that network accepts incoming connections from the outside world. The other network does not require incoming access so the fixed IP is not a necessity. So yes, these networks are on separate WANs but within the same building (and same room).

PCs are not part of a Windows domain. They are in a simple workgroup formation. The company does not want a Windows domain, so the AD idea will not be acceptable to them. So what I had in mind was that if there could be some way to bridge the 2 networks, then we could accomplish the same thing.... whatsay?

Overall, for someone who is not a network expert and doesn't know how to maintain it, I would still spend $85 for this Linksys - BEFSR81 - Etherfast 8-Port Cable/DSL Router... or add the 8 port switch to one of your two routers. List price is a lot more, but TigerDirect and many others have it for $65 to $85.
Lots of other possibilities, of course, but they would all require hiring somebody for an hour or two... You can string those two together, but again, you don't have the experience to trouble shoot.
Hire a smart tech for an hour or two... at $85 to $135 an hour, depending on where you are, or buy this LinkSys. We have them all over three counties and they require practically no maintenance or knowledge.
There will be plenty of people with other solutions... just pick something that doesn't eat up your time, or prepare to do a lot of reading and tweaking.

Well, I guess I am willing to do the extra reading and tweaking 'cause it could be an investment well made! I have the time too, and it would be part of my learning process if I can make this work. So no worries! :)

Cheers!

animalani-san,
Genki desu ka?
You can get bridges/routers that WILL do what you ask, as raybay has said, and seeing as you're now committed to maybe investing time and possibly money on the right info and kit, i reckon you'll have no problems.
Kampai! :)

animalani-san,
Genki desu ka?
You can get bridges/routers that WILL do what you ask, as raybay has said, and seeing as you're now committed to maybe investing time and possibly money on the right info and kit, i reckon you'll have no problems.
Kampai! :)

Hai, genki desu! :)

Yes, I hope to put this together sooner or later. :)

Cheers!
Ani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back