Connection with internal wireless card on laptop fluctuates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0blemMagnet

I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG in my laptop and when i connect to a wireless network the connection fluctuates like crazy. One second ill have an "excellent" 54 mbps connection and the next itll be down to 5.5 mbps with low signal or excellent signal with 1 mbps, or the connection will drop out comepletely. This happens whether im right next to the router or a decent amount away (of course its worse when im farther away).
When i bring up available wireless networks it detects quite a few but it shows every single one as security enabled (even though some arent and this happens everywhere too). And im down at my sisters place and her SSID is NETGEAR, but my card wont connect to it and says that it may be out of range (even if im next to it) and it will try to connect to a bull**** linksys network and the problem i stated above will persist.

What could possibly be going on?

well it wouldn't really be a replacement... seeing as the current card is internal

i actually have tried a PC card, the only problem with it is it wouldn't install properly....

putting that aside though, i really want to try to get the internal card working properly if i can though.... so if i can get help with that, or if someone could shed light on the problem, it'd be great

I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG in my laptop and when i connect to a wireless network the connection fluctuates like crazy. One second ill have an "excellent" 54 mbps connection and the next itll be down to 5.5 mbps with low signal or excellent signal with 1 mbps, or the connection will drop out comepletely.
sounds like interference
When i bring up available wireless networks it detects quite a few but it shows every single one as security enabled (even though some arent and this happens everywhere too).
you could not verify that until you attempt a connection
And im down at my sisters place and her SSID is NETGEAR, but my card wont connect to it and says that it may be out of range (even if im next to it) and it will try to connect to a bull**** linksys network and the problem i stated above will persist.
I would update the device driver from the vender's site.
Systems running with out-of-the-box drivers frequently need updates.

Do you have a ham radio operator, Police or Fire Station, or radio transmitter within 300 to 800 feet of your computer desk... or other wireless systems by other users that are detected when you start up?
Usually the wireless unit has failed
But often, just uninstall everything Wireless, then use a simple registry editor to delete anything remaining in the registry
Then reboot, defragment the drive, and reinstall your wireless software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back