Constant crashes/insta-restarts/BSODs while playing games

Lampard92

Hello first off I wanna say thanks to everyone who'll spend their time in helping me with this annoying problem.

The story goes as follow I've had this problem for ages (probably even since I had my PC) ,some times less some times more.It was happening under Windows Vista (32bit) and Windows 7 (32 bit).Currently I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Most of the time it happens when I'm playing a game (ex: Team Fortress 2 ,Portal 2 ,Starcraft 2 ,League Of Legends) ,rarely my PC freezes when I watch x264 movie files ,but not any more I think.

What happens is my PC either freezes or randomly restarts or I get a BSOD one of the 3.

Some days I play all day without a single crash ,but some days it crashes every 15 minutes ,then stops ...and then happens again.

I've tried to update my video/sound drives and change them countless times ,it has helped to some point ,but the problem has been very consistent.

My Computers specs:
CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2400mhz (9x267)
MB: ASUS P5KR
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DHX CM2X1024-6400C5DHX x2 (2x1GB)
VC/GPU: ASUS EN8800GT(Nvidia GeForce 8800 chipset I guess)
Audio: Integrated Sound Card - Realtek ALC883
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ES 500630
Network: Integrated Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller

I did add all my recent mini-dumps , I regularly defrag my system and check for viruses.Please if there's anything else that I need to add inform me and I'll try my best to provide the information.Really hope I included the stuff that's needed for this to work properly.

Again thank you very much for your time and efforts.

Attachments

• 072611-14352-01.dmp
    157.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 072611-14851-01.dmp
    157.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 072611-17815-01.dmp
  • 072711-13119-01.dmp
  • 072711-13915-01.dmp
Try running the computer with the side off and see if the BSOD's stop

It's not overheating I've cleaned it recently from dust and all fans are running normally ,but I'll still try it.Will report after a few games and crashes.
Current temp with nothing running + opened side(Also take note currently in my town it's 24 C ,mid day it may go to 30-34 ,since it's summer):
CPUs: First 33 C / Second 35 C / Third 29 C / Fourth 35 C
GPU: 49 C
MB: 44 C
HDD: 43 C
Current temps after(while) playing League Of Legends/Starcraft 2 (Incoming) temp outside was 30-32 C:
CPUs: First 40 C / Second 42 C / Third 37 C / Fourth 43 C
GPU: 55-60 C (Mid-Game)
MB: 52 C
HDD: 52 C

Doing this test I played starcraft 2 for a bit my system BSOD'd once and once it froze ,after that I played 3 games of starcraft and nothing.
I uploaded my latest 2 mini-dumps.Woops only one was recorded.
P.S.I played a game of LoL didn't crash ,then I played 1 game it crashed ..and then 2 games nothing.Uploaded the mini-dump from the LoL crash.

Attachments

• 072811-13852-01.dmp
  • 072811-14055-01.dmp
Still nothing has been resolved ,interestingly enough it didn't crash a single time yesterday and I play tons of LoL/Starcraft/Starcraft 2.

Hello Lampard:

If you are not playing any games, how does your system behaves?

All except one of your dumps cite system processes, which is of not much help, but one came up with dxgkrnl.sys (a driver/component of direct x). Which can mean two things a) there may be an issue with your graphic driver (but I'd rule it out as you have them updated), b) your graphic card may be the source of these problems.

Before going any further, please tell us make/model of your PSU.

Also download OCCT, and stress test your graphic card's GPU and VRAM for any weakness.

Hello Lampard:

If you are not playing any games, how does your system behaves?

All except one of your dumps cite system processes, which is of not much help, but one came up with dxgkrnl.sys (a driver/component of direct x). Which can mean two things a) there may be an issue with your graphic driver (but I'd rule it out as you have them updated), b) your graphic card may be the source of these problems.

Before going any further, please tell us make/model of your PSU.

Also download *had to remove the link ,because I got 4 posts*, and stress test your graphic card's GPU and VRAM for any weakness.

If I don't play games it's all fine ,no crashes (or maybe 1 ...if I overrun tons of stuff)
I have noticed some of the BSOD's have had the audio driver as a reason ,the video driver and the nvidia driver ,but there have been BSOD with no given reason just a code.

My PSU is: Fortron ATX-400PNF

I have always suspected my graphics card or my integrated audio card.I'll try the problem tonight and see what happens ..will update this post.

The update:
I ran the VRAM test ..10 passes no errors.
I ran the GPU 1 hour test (windowed mode / with the error checkbox not checked) it found no errors.
Should I test for more passes and or more hours ..and should I upload the files/screenshots the programs made?

You may run the stress tests for one more time just to make sure that nothing is wrong with your graphic card.

Now to your PSU, as far as I know these Fortron PSUs use very cheap components, hence, the quality can be an issue with them. So it can also cause all these instability issues.

Anyway before going that route, I need you to follow these steps to run Driver Verifier (please ensure that your System can boot into Safe Mode):

1) Windows Key + R (or go to Start, then click on Run..)
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When this occurs please post your new minidump.

Please note that Driver Verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run (by going to Start, then to Run):

verifier /reset

In case your system doesn't boot after starting driver verifier simply boot your system in safe mode and reset verifier.

Updates:
I ran the OCCT VRAM & GPU 1 Hour test ,no crashes or error during those.
I tried to run the verifier first option and got a BSOD.
I tried to run it with the second option only selecting the Microsoft provided drivers and still got BSOD.
I had to run safe mode and do verifier /reset to start Windows normally.
I'll upload the 2 mini-dumps that came out of these crashes.
If there is anything else I need to run please inform me I check the forum at least 3-4 times a day for updates.

Attachments

• 080111-28158-01.dmp
    128 KB · Views: 1
  • 080111-29094-01.dmp
    128 KB · Views: 2
Both of these latest crashes cite Asus Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) system file i.e. asacpi.sys.

I would suggest you to uninstall your current installation of chipset drivers, reboot, then download latest WHQL chipset drivers for your board and see how things go from there.

Both of these latest crashes cite Asus Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) system file i.e. asacpi.sys.

I would suggest you to uninstall your current installation of chipset drivers, reboot, then download latest WHQL chipset drivers for your board and see how things go from there.

Can you please tell me how to safely uninstall those drivers and if it's possible to give me a link to the new drivers.

Here is the link for your motherboard's drivers.

You should be able to find Asus related software listed in Control Panel, Programs, and from thereon you can simply select the chipset related software to be uninstalled.

Here is the link for your motherboard's drivers.

You should be able to find Asus related software listed in Control Panel, Programs, and from thereon you can simply select the chipset related software to be uninstalled.

Sorry to have taken so long to reply.I looked in that location and there isn't anything Asus related ,I checked over the list a few times nothing by Asus.Can provide screenshots of necessary.

Okay, that means something may have left this file behind when you uninstalled it.

Download driver sweeper, install and run it, and see whether it can find the file(s) in question and remove them.

Okay, that means something may have left this file behind when you uninstalled it.

Download driver sweeper, install and run it, and see whether it can find the file(s) in question and remove them.

Here's what I get in the drivers ,not sure what to remove and what not ...also posted a few more BSOD's from yesterday.

Attachments

• drivers.png
    drivers.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 080511-13884-01.dmp
    157.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 080511-13946-01.dmp
    157.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 080611-14601-01.dmp
    157 KB · Views: 1
Two of these three crashes were caused by your graphics subsystem (one clearly citing nvidia driver).

Fortron ATX-400PNF <-- I think we haven't touched on this so far, Fortron PSU's have reputation for being made with cheap parts, and hence it can also cause all sorts of problems.

Is there a way that you can borrow another PSU from friend perhaps and try that out, then see how your system behaves?

Two of these three crashes were caused by your graphics subsystem (one clearly citing nvidia driver).

Fortron ATX-400PNF <-- I think we haven't touched on this so far, Fortron PSU's have reputation for being made with cheap parts, and hence it can also cause all sorts of problems.

Is there a way that you can borrow another PSU from friend perhaps and try that out, then see how your system behaves?

Well I can't get one today ,not sure when my friend will be around so I can get one of his.

Another way to check it would be perhaps replace your graphic card with something much less demanding (on PSU). Do you by any chance have some old spare graphic card ?

Another way to check it would be perhaps replace your graphic card with something much less demanding (on PSU). Do you by any chance have some old spare graphic card ?

I don't have any spare parts.I usually test these parts with my friend ,but his working at another city for the summer ...and I got nowhere to just get parts to try.

That leave us with very little room to maneuver without having to spend money before we nail down the real cause of all of your issues. One other option can be take your PC to some nearby tech shop and ask them to have a look/ and or take your PSU to them and ask them to check voltages with multimeter.

That leave us with very little room to maneuver without having to spend money before we nail down the real cause of all of your issues. One other option can be take your PC to some nearby tech shop and ask them to have a look/ and or take your PSU to them and ask them to check voltages with multimeter.

What should the voltages be? I'm 90% sure my dad has an multimeter.

Back