Constant resets on Windows boot after Mobo replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw23

My PSU's +5v rail went out, verified by a PSU tester, causing the computer to shut off and not turn back on. After trying an old working PSU on the system it still wouldnt power up. I replaced both the PSU and the motherboard with different brand hardware. After installation, the system booted up and got to the windows login screen and sat there for a few seconds before resetting. On the next start up it didnt make it to the login screen before resetting. I disabled auto-reset on error to find i was getting a blue screen with error before the reset, but the errors are different pretty much every time. I have been told that when changing the mobo on an XP machine, you have to run a repair install or you will get the blue screen errors. I put in my XP CD and boot from it, after it loads the system files and boots into the install/repair program it resets. It seems it gets the farthest through the boot when the system is cold and not as far when it is warm. The CPU temperature is read in bios as 52C, I have removed the heatsink and cleaned/reapplied the silver thermal paste 3 times and had no changes in the CPU temp in bios. I have also read that faulty ram can cause the blue errors, so I removed one stick of RAM, still no boot. Put the other stick into slot one and tried to boot with it, and no go. I do not understand why bios reads my CPU temp so high, I have really good cooling and never had any heat issues before replacing these parts. It seems to me that maybe the temp is reading too hot when the system boots into something with load on the CPU such as windows and it gets to the temp limit in the bios readings and it resets to prevent damage. But what could be the cause of this high reading? It seems to me that since it has gotten as far as the login screen that the cpu/gpu/ram is fine... but could the CPU have been damaged in a way to cause it to overhead when the mobo went out? Or does this sound like my mobo is damaged?

All of the hardware in my profile is current.

Thanks for the link, although I do know how to run a repair install. The problems is that it resets after the step where it prepares the compter for install, and i cannot run the program. It gets farther into the boot if it has been sitting and it at room temp before running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back