Consumer spending on PC gaming hardware and accessories in the US increased 62 percent...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Consumer spending on PC gaming hardware and accessories in the US reached $4.5 billion in 2020, an increase of 62 percent compared to 2019 and more than double the total sales that occurred in 2017. Had inventory shortages and scalpers not been a constant in the latter half of 2020, consumer spending on hardware like CPUs and video cards likely would have been even higher.

According to The NPD Group, all hardware and accessory categories experienced double-digit growth last year, but it was PC headsets, monitors and keyboards that saw the most growth, both in terms of dollars generated and units sold.

Sales of digital PC content, meanwhile, climbed 19 percent to $7.5 billion, the firm noted.

Stephen Baker, NPD’s technology industry advisor, said the pandemic lockdown measures played a role in the growth seen in the segment as consumers looked to entertain themselves while at home. Mat Piscatella, video game industry analyst for The NPD Group, echoed those sentiments.

“Over the course of 2020, there was a significant increase in both the number of PC video game players as well as the time and money those players invested in PC gaming,” Piscatella added.

Looking ahead, The NPD Group is expecting to see a plateauing of demand at elevated levels for PC gaming hardware and accessories. As such, the group is forecasting growth of just three percent in the segment in 2021.

Image credit Gorodenkoff, Ekkaphan Chimpalee

Permalink to story.

Anyone that bought Corsair Gaming stock at its IPO price of $13-15, back in September, is laughing now. (it's trading in the 40s now)

3090 = $1955

X56 with Logitech pedals = $400

HOTAS Flight Stand = $300

8TB SSD = $800

Yeah... it’s been an expensive quarantine

Without supply constrains it could easily go over 100% really... The demand for latest CPU and GPU is still incredibly high.

I’ve spent more on PC hardware and related stuff than I ever had this year. However I haven’t spent a penny on my main hobby - Scuba diving. Where on average I spent $10,000+ a year on flights, accommodation, kit, refills, gopros etc.

Isn’t it great that all my money has gone to large American tech corporations instead of small boutique dive kit manufacturers (that I tend to order from these days) or family run hotels and dive shops?

What gets me is that I think I am technically more likely to catch the virus now than I was before we did any lockdowns. And we are about to end it.

Hopefully our world leaders will come up with a better strategy than house arrest for months and years the next time another nasty bug starts getting passed around...

I'm actually surprised it wasn't higher considering how many people have been stuck at home with kids ....

I’ve spent more on PC hardware and related stuff than I ever had this year. However I haven’t spent a penny on my main hobby - Scuba diving. Where on average I spent $10,000+ a year on flights, accommodation, kit, refills, gopros etc.

Isn’t it great that all my money has gone to large American tech corporations instead of small boutique dive kit manufacturers (that I tend to order from these days) or family run hotels and dive shops?
Well of course, the 1% always needs your money. Especially the taiwanese and chinese companies that actually make this stuff.

What gets me is that I think I am technically more likely to catch the virus now than I was before we did any lockdowns. And we are about to end it.
It's amazing what a year of reduced activity and constant stress does to ones immune system. The economic, ecological, and human and societal health rammifications of the last year will be felt on par with the 70's oil embargos.

Hopefully our world leaders will come up with a better strategy than house arrest for months and years the next time another nasty bug starts getting passed around...
They wont come up with a better strategy because there is really not much you can do to stop a virus. That's why weaponized smallpox was such a terrifying prospect in the cold war, such a weapon simply could not be stopped.

But people today are too used to their comfy lives. Unlike in the 1910s, where that comfort led people to be brazenly overconfident in the system and its leaders, the overtly coddled status we hold today has fed into the exact opposite. People today are petrified to even go outside to pick up the mail from their mailbox without 5 masks and a CDC recommended ball-gag. You tell these people they are more likely to die driving their 10 mile round trip to work every day then they are to suffer ANY symptoms of coronavirus, and they immediately launch into a tirade about how "its a virus you monster how can you say this". Personal risk tolerance and the concept of numerical odds have been utterly railroaded, often by the same people that scream "I HEART SCIENCE".

The thing is most normal people I know are totally over the coof fear, yet none of these people seem to have a voice on the modern stage.

Last edited:
3090 = $1955

X56 with Logitech pedals = $400

HOTAS Flight Stand = $300

8TB SSD = $800

Yeah... it’s been an expensive quarantine

RTX3080 - £890

Gigabyte G32QC - £380

Lian Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG - £200

Razer Keyboard, Mouse, Headset, Headset Stand, Mouse Mat - £750

ASUS Motherboard, Core i9 10850K, 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL16, EKWB Velocity CPU Block, extra 360mm rad - £1200

Cheap is definitely NOT the name of the game ; - P

If I had a penny for each tech article written the last 15 years screaming that "PC Gaming is Dying / Will be Dead in X Years"....I would have had enough pennies to buy an RTX 3090!! The scalped version.

Back