Contemplating setting up a RAMDisk again

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioVayne

Many moons ago I setup a RAMDisk, worked well for a while till I started getting BSODs...

But now I'm reconsidering setting up another RAMdisk, but a higher volume (say 768MB RAM / half of my 1.5GB) for Firefox and for video playback...

At the moment my sound gets choppy or the video laggs when I use my laptop on the net, messenger etc etc (for specs see below) so I'm wondering, would I be able to watch a movie (extended desktop to the TV) and use the laptop normally with less adverse effects from the RAMDisk or will it make minimal difference?

I'm planning on copying the video files onto the RAMDisk each time i want to watch something...

Intel Pentium M 1.3Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, Compaq Presario 2200
Windows XP SP3

Cheers for any useful advice

Blair

You don't have enough memory at 1,512 MB to get good use out of a Ram Drive. Boost your memory to 2 GB first, then just allocate 512 mb, or a max of 750 mb.

Cheers man...So I'd just be going backwards in performance until then? I want to run a 768 MB RAMdisk so I can run firefox and store a movie to watch...

You could probably get away with it if you used a standalone firefox and made sure it was writing the cache/temp files to the RAM disk.

There may be something else going on though if you are having problems playing back a divx or xvid movie while doing anything else. If you are trying to watch 720p mkvs then I could see an issue, but normal 700-1400 meg xvids shouldn't be a problem.

Yup, Firefox is more like Flyingfox now running via the ramdisk!

I wasn't having issues as such until i start clicking up tabs or browse sites with a lot of crap that needs loading hence my trial of the Ramdisk...I was gonna test out my idea last night but I wasn't home so it'll have to wait till this arvo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back