Converting from disk

scavengerspc

TechSpot Elite
I have a very impressive collection of movies\tv on disk but I haven't bought a disk in years.
I would like to convert these to store on a hard drive or USB storage. I know backups are legal but I don't know some fine print and I don't know how to do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

First, attach the new media by any means you prefer.

No conversion is necessary as Drag-n-Drop works fine.

I suggest that this is the precise moment to create the target directory structures to organize the files

First, attach the new media by any means you prefer.

No conversion is necessary as Drag-n-Drop works fine.

I suggest that this is the precise moment to create the target directory structures to organize the files
Thanks for the help.

Does that allow me to play them? My plan was to rip and encode them to the external drive and play them from there. Then I'm planning on tossing the cases and just put all the disks in a box.

That will work fine. I ripped some years ago but was surprised at how long it can take. Also, you'll get a choice of formats. I suggest that you avoid avi which I've found to be a pain to play back. You'll find freeware that'll do the job but I'm afraid I've forgotten what I used.

If they play from where they are now, then there's no need to re-rip them -- they will still play as there is no location dependency

Thanks for the help.

Does that allow me to play them? My plan was to rip and encode them to the external drive and play them from there. Then I'm planning on tossing the cases and just put all the disks in a box.
I'll be sending you a PM. As for the answers you're received thus far, they're very nearly worthless.

Back