Core 2 duo: how should I upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid078

Hey all

I have managed to spot a bargin a local computer shop, a Intel Core2Duo 2.13Ghz for about half its normal price. I am currently running a Pentium 4 2.93Ghz, Windows XP 32-bit, 2 Gig of RAM, Nvidia Gefore 8400GS. I have bought assassins creed for the PC thinking I might be able to make the minium requirements. I was half right - the game runs and I can play through but the FPS isnt too good and it lags slightly when in crowded areas. As you may know the spec for this game is quite hefty so I am looking to upgrade in order to run it.

My question being I do not know whether I will have to update my BIOS, or if the chip will run in my motherboard (i have checked the socket mine is LGA775 which I think works with it)
And how would I update my BIOS in order for it to work if in deed if have to update my BIOS at all

Thank you for your time

The bottleneck isn't the CPU it's your video card. "Assassin's Creed" and "Crysis" play best with a GT8800. Your 8400GS is really not up to these games. Sorry.

You've not really given us enough info to determine whether or nor you motherboard has a BIOS update to make it compatible with a C2D. So, tell us which mobo you have, and what are the specs on the RAM in your machine.

Some boards even with the same chipset number will run only a Pentium 4, while later ones will run a C2D. All Intel desktop CPUs for about 4 years are LGA775 sockets. So that isn't really an indicator of compatibility you can rely on.

Use a program like SIW or CPU-Z (Google for them) to find out what motherboard and chipset you have. Then look for the motherboard manufacturer's support page pertaining to your product and check their CPU compatibility list.

And yes, cap is right. You need a better video card than the 8400GS to see better performance in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back