Corning's Gorilla Glass 5 offers improved protection against gravity

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Corning on Wednesday unveiled Gorilla Glass 5, the latest iteration of its popular cover glass that’s said to further address a common concern among consumers: breakage from drops.

Citing an 11-country survey, Corning points out that more than 85 percent of smartphone owners have drop their handset at least once a year with 55 percent saying they've done so a minimum of three times over the same period of time.

Indeed, cracked and shattered screens are a common occurrence in today’s mobile-driven world. In the earlier days, scratches were just as much of an issue (if not more) although at this point, advancements in cover glass like those offered by Corning have largely eliminated the need for protective screen covers. Damage from drops, however, remains a pain point for the industry.

In Corning’s internal testing, the company said its Gorilla Glass 5 survived up to 80 percent of the time when dropped face-down from 1.6 meters (between shoulder and waist height for the average person) onto rough surfaces.

Although not always advertised, Corning’s Gorilla Glass is widely used in the mobile industry. The company says that 40 brands have employed its cover glass across more than 1,800 product models since its inception nearly a decade ago. That equates to more than 4.5 billion devices worldwide.

As you may know, Corning originally developed its strengthened glass in the 1960s but quit making it shortly after as there wasn’t any market for it. Decades later, when Apple CEO Steve Jobs was looking for glass to use on the first iPhone, he was urged to contact Corning. The rest, as they say, is history.

Corning says its new Gorilla Glass 5 is available commercially as of writing and is expected to appear on mobile devices later this year.

Permalink to story.

Gorilla Glass 4 still scratches and there are people complaining about it even about s7 edge. I have the A5 2016 and there are many marks but can't feel them with my fingers and are only visible in the sunlight so I don't care that much.

It seems to me most of the "testing" involves dropping the phone flat on it's front\face. I've owned a couple of phones with the variety of gorilla glass offered and between me and my wife we have broken one of each (3&4 varieties). In both the cases the phone dropped on a corner cracking the screen. I'm not sure I've seen any tests where the phones are dropped onto a corner. I have switched over to the Turbo 2 with the shatter resistant front. 4 corner drops later and it's in one piece. The body is a little marked up but I'm not too worried about that as long as it still is in working order.

In all my years of mobile use I have never broken the screen glass on any of my phone's... I can't say the same for the glass on some of the watches I've owned though

In all my years of mobile use I have never broken the screen glass on any of my phone's... I can't say the same for the glass on some of the watches I've owned though

I've been lucky and never broken a screen either. My friend broke hers not long ago. It slipped out of her pocket and fell not more than 2 feet, but landed on its corner and the whole bottom left corner became a shattered mess.

It seems to me most of the "testing" involves dropping the phone flat on it's front\face. I've owned a couple of phones with the variety of gorilla glass offered and between me and my wife we have broken one of each (3&4 varieties). In both the cases the phone dropped on a corner cracking the screen. I'm not sure I've seen any tests where the phones are dropped onto a corner..

Indeed. The thumbnail to this article made me believe that finally this would be history, but watching the little movie, it's clear that we're protected against flat drops, not corner drops.

Let's be realistic, glass is glass and will always shatter. Until they come up with another material to use instead of glass, you can forget about having a phone that will survive drops especially corner ones. Waste of time and resources. I mean seriously, it scratches from putting it into my pocket and should survive a drop??? Please...

I've been lucky and never broken a screen either. My friend broke hers not long ago. It slipped out of her pocket and fell not more than 2 feet, but landed on its corner and the whole bottom left corner became a shattered mess.
Yeah I have a few friends that have done that... one of them dropped his phone and broke the screen the day he got it.

I broke the screen one my galaxy s5 3 times, *touch wood* my s7 edge is still intact (apart from the home button is a little tacky after I split numerous beers and cocktails on it :D). I must have been jinxed with my s5 cause previous to that I had an S2 and Original S and both of those still have intact screen and im sure both have been dropped.

LMAO....once again, they are dropping them FLAT, which spreads out the impact point. Similar to hitting them with a hammer. CORNER DROPS are what destroy most phone screens, since the kinetic energy has to be displaced from a single contact point.
Yes, they are more durable, but, I seriously doubt the GG5 will be any different than the others, with regard to CORNER impact points. Best thing to do with a GLASS SCREEN, is be more careful with your phone and DON'T DROP IT. Considering some of these expensive paperweights cost upwards of 700 dollars, people should be a little more careful with them.

LMAO....once again, they are dropping them FLAT, which spreads out the impact point. Similar to hitting them with a hammer. CORNER DROPS are what destroy most phone screens, since the kinetic energy has to be displaced from a single contact point.
Yes, they are more durable, but, I seriously doubt the GG5 will be any different than the others, with regard to CORNER impact points. Best thing to do with a GLASS SCREEN, is be more careful with your phone and DON'T DROP IT. Considering some of these expensive paperweights cost upwards of 700 dollars, people should be a little more careful with them.

Ha! Are you by any chance on iPhone user?? This thing is so slippery I can't use it without the cover!!! Apple should start by making its surface more rugged instead of focusing on making it thinner and thinner!! I'm surprised no one make a fuss about it earlier it's been a second iteration of the phone still with the same problem and judging by the looks of the next iPhone it will carry the same issue!! Am I really the only one that is affected by this ?? And I don't even have a sweaty hands ! ;-)

Ha! Are you by any chance on iPhone user?? This thing is so slippery I can't use it without the cover!!! Apple should start by making its surface more rugged instead of focusing on making it thinner and thinner!! I'm surprised no one make a fuss about it earlier it's been a second iteration of the phone still with the same problem and judging by the looks of the next iPhone it will carry the same issue!! Am I really the only one that is affected by this ?? And I don't even have a sweaty hands ! ;-)

Nope, never had a iPhone. First one was Dell Streak5, never dropped, then the Galaxy Note1, never dropped, and 2+ years ago, the Huawei Ascend Mate2, never dropped. I use BT 100% of the time, so when I'm not at home, or in the car, the phone stays in my belt clip case to ensure I don't drop it. I see some of these zombies walking around and think they have to have em clutched in their hands 24/7 so much, that I think that at some point in the human evolution (or DE-evolution) that people should have 3 arms/hands so they can have one for their phones LOL.

Back