Corrupt screen problems at boot and in safe mode for Dell Dimension E520

Hi,

Recently my PC, a Dell Dimension E520, started having graphical problems. The problem started when I had left my PC to make a drink, when I returned to the PC the screen was in Powersave mode, but when I moved the mouse and used the Keyboard it did not return to the Normal mode, it stayed in Powersave and the PC sounded like it was still running at full speed. The PC power button was non-responsive so I had to turn the PC off at the plug.

After booting up I noticed the screen was corrupt, with lots of distorted multi coloured lines or blocks, and random rows of symbols (anyone of £, $, or a symbol I do not know how to type). It would be like this all through boot, and even in Safemode.

However, when I get to Login the random symbols disappear but the lines remain making it almost impossible to use. Once or twice at login the computer screen went back and locked in to Powersave.

Once at boot it came up with an error with a message stating a certain function was repeating itself so was closed but I cannot remeber the function and this has happened once out of 20 odd boots.

I have tried searching for this problem online but I cannot seem to find an answer.

I have attached a picture of the problem at Boot

PROBLEMS: Streaky distorted multi-coloured lines at Boot and in Safemode
Random lines of symbols (£,$ and other unknown symbol) at boot and safemode
Streaky distorted lines persist at and after login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou

Attachments

• 31072010388.jpg
    31072010388.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 8
looks like your screen card has failed.

is your computer still under warranty?

the "screen card" is more commonly known as a video card or GPU. Well yes it does look like the video card has died. if you tell me how much you want to spend to replace it your self i can help you out more. you could also take the computer to a pc shop near you for more help. The Dimension E520 has one PCI Express x16 slot, one PCI Express x1 slot, and 2 PCI slots.

The warranty has expired, and I will be getting a New PC within the next 2 months, so I am looking for a temporary fix. I'm looking for a solution that revolves around the £50 mark although the cheaper the better, but quality is still important.

Interesting thread as I have had 2 AGP cards go this way (distortion on boot up etc).

My question is: are there any (affordable) ways of repairing Graphics cards and if so, is it worth me trying to sell my 2 graphics cards (one is XFX 6600GT 256MB, the other Powercolor ATI X1650 Pro 512MB) on Ebay or Techspot trade/sell area or is it just best for me to recycle them at the local recycle yard?

Many thanks for any responses.

foxdelta, you should start your own thread rather than hijacking this one. Answering two different posters with two different questions in the same thread is distracting.

Back