Corsair issues recall for 120GB Force Series 3 SSDs

Jos

Staff

Less than a month since debuting its third-generation Force solid-state drive series, Corsair has issued a recall of the 120GB variant due to firmware and hardware problems with that specific unit. According to the company's light on details statement, "a significant percentage of these drives do not operate to specification," and as a result they are stopping shipments and implementing a remediation plan to get affected drives replaced.

The drive in question corresponds to part number CSSD-F120GBG3-BK -- which should be printed on the front label right below the 120GB capacity marker. Anyone with a Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD is being asked to return the drive to Corsair, even if they haven't experienced any stability issues, to be exchanged with a fixed unit. All shipping expenses will be covered by the manufacturer, of course, and the estimated turnaround time is reportedly ten business days.

The 60GB (CSSD-F60GBG3-BK) and 240GB (CSSD-F240GBG3-BK) Force 3 models are not affected by this issue, nor is the company's Force GT series. Corsair was careful not to pin any fault on its partners -- despite many users complaining about SandForce treating them like beta testers -- and simply took full responsibility for failing to catch the issue before the drives were shipped. Problems included freezing, detection errors and BSOD errors.

Product recalls are always a pain for customers but we're glad to see Corsair trying to get things fixed as quickly as possible. More information on how to exchange a defective drive is available on Corsair's support forums.

Permalink to story.

zecias said:
BSOD screens : a bit redundant don't you think?

Youre the only one who has said "BSOD screens." So, what is your point, it is.

If you look in the article all it said was "BSOD errors" which is still.. eh, whatever.. I'll let it slide.

The original Force series was a disaster too. Corsair is bad about rushing the first launch of a new SSD series. In the case of the original Force drives, it was pre-release firmware.

Back when the Force series first launched, I got a 60GB Force for my Precision 390 at work. Like many others in their support forum, I would get daily BSOD followed by the drive not being detected by the BIOS. Soft resets didn't do anything, you had to fully power off the machine and turn it back on the the drive to start up again. This happened daily for me and hundreds of others daily until a new firmware was released after about 3 or 4 months. Then the BSOD's stopped altogether after flashing the new firmware.

Back