Corsair launches 24GB Dominator DDR3 memory kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Not that you'll be needing such extreme amounts of memory for your gaming rig anytime soon but Corsair has just launched a new 24GB kit under its Dominator series. Designed and tested for use on Intel's X58 platform, the triple-channel kit consists of six 4GB modules clocked at 1,333MHz with latencies of 9-9-9-27 at 1.65V voltage.

Each module features Corsair's patented DHX+ heatsinks and the company is tossing in a Dominator Airflow cooler equipped with a duo of 60mm fans for good measure. Although the branding suggests this 24GB kit is aimed at gamers and performance enthusiasts, Corsair says the new set is actually designed for workstation users and those in the computational research, HD digital content creation, or virtualization fields.

Indeed the value of a 24GB DDR3 RAM kit is practically non-existent in home environments, and the $1,349.99 it costs will definitely be better spent elsewhere if you are looking for a performance boost. In any case, the new memory kit is available right now from Corsair's online store and comes backed by a lifetime warranty.

Permalink to story.

Cool,2gb for 7 and 22 in case i want to do many other things at the same time.
When i ran 8gb's i never used it,so can someone tell me how on earth do you use 24 gb's?

BMfan said:
Cool,2gb for 7 and 22 in case i want to do many other things at the same time.
When i ran 8gb's i never used it,so can someone tell me how on earth do you use 24 gb's?

Maybe if i opened an entire RAW photoshoot in Gimp at the same time while watching sports on ESPN360, compressing and uploading videos to my blog, backing up my hd, running steam updates, and syncing my ipod through itunes all at the same time :)

I don't understand why companies put in the R&D and develop/release products that are utterly worthless.

Me either, but I'm sure there's someone out there that thinks they actually need 24GB of physical RAM and will waste their money on this kit. DDR3 is expensive enough, 8+ Gigs is going to break the bank.

I've used 9 GB on my 12 GB setup before - course that was because of the VMs I was running. Maybe if I was doing all of that, playing WoW, and editing some images in Photoshop at the same time ;)

For some uses I actually do see how it would be fairly easy to use up this much ram. For example, in Photoshop CS4, while I was editing a relatively low res JPEG photo, making a birthday card, I ate up my 4 gigs of RAM in no time, with CS4 using about 2 gigs of it. Now, with 24 gigs of ram, I would have 11 times as much available to photoshop. But if I was editing a 12 or more megapixle RAW or TIFF image, with a ton of layers, I think you would be able to come pretty close to maxing out 24 gigs of ram.

At that point you would have to have some ridiculous CPU power to cope with all that data, but that is another point altogether.

The easiest way to use all of that memory is to have itunes and Norton installed. You should have no problem using everything.

I need a batch file to place my game into a RAMDisk after startup. Nothing beats a loading screen that you can't see!

I've used all 12gb of my ram at once, Burned 2 blueray disk simultaneously, playing an MMO with 3 clients and running random programs( Firefox with 20 tabs or so, zune players, etc etc)

Still cant see myself using 24gb but hey. Somebody will buy it.

Only those whose parents are stupidly rich and spend money like there was no tomorrow will buy it. 6GB of RAM is more than enough for 99% of people. The other 1% is made out of people like supersmashbrada.

With that much money you can buy a killer cpu and video card an maybe have some cash left for a 4gb kit, enough to do almost any task.

i wounder if any1 ever tried using ssd as ram? it will be slower but hey its 64+GB

I am a musician and I use Kontakt, with numerous virtual instruments. i need all
of those loaded into memory (about 20 gigs) and I can build a workstation
to sell that was impossible before. A general midi rig with all of the
instruments those *****s of 30 years ago threw at us. chrisharris@harrisengr.com

I don't understand why companies put in the R&D and develop/release products that are utterly worthless.
Probably for the same readon that Chevrolet manufactures Corvettes. So people will look at the Corvette, then buy the Chevy Nova.

(Or whatever they call the low to mid priced garbage nowadays).

Probably for the same readon that Chevrolet manufactures Corvettes. So people will look at the Corvette, then buy the Chevy Nova.

At least Corvette's are much better to look at when compared to many other things you may end up gazing inadvertently or otherwise.:wave:

im a visual fx artist and i do stuff like particle and fluid sims for a living. having this much ram is definitely helpful when im running huge fluid sims. in fact, without having 18+ gigs of ram i don't think i'd be able to get much work done.

dont be so closed minded there is more out there in this world than you know of.
i use a prgram called freeform which uses voxel data basically 3d pixels in space to do modeling
of characters for 3d films and games. i have 12 gigs of ram and it is not enough for some of the more demanding models.

when prices get lower i will certainly get the 24 gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back