Cortana for Android officially launches in beta

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has officially released its Cortana app for Android, allowing users of Google’s mobile operating system to take advantage of most of the functionality found on Windows version.

I say official because a pre-release version hit the web last month.

Cortana for Android arrives in beta form and is capable of searching the web, setting reminders, tracking flight information, helping you find a restaurant for dinner and so on. What’s more, Cortana can be configured to replace Google Now as the default virtual assistant when the Home button is pressed.

One thing Cortana for Android can’t yet do is respond to hands-free commands. In its native environment, you can simply say “Hey Cortana” to get the assistant’s attention much like you’d say “Ok Google” to wake up Google Now.

Microsoft notes that Cortana for Android is currently only available in the US although there are plans to roll it out to other markets in due time. Because of its beta status, it’s entirely possible you’ll come across a few hiccups or missteps. The Redmond-based company said it is continually improving the experience and will incorporate feedback along the way.

Have you had the opportunity to try one of what is now several virtual assistants? If so, are you a fan or do you believe they are just the next marketing ploy to help sell hardware? Let us know in the comments section below.

Image courtesy Engadget

Permalink to story.

Well I've never found any use for Google Now so I doubt Cortana will change that. I'm not in the habit of speaking to inanimate things unless I'm swearing at them.
If I never use these digital assistants I won't die wondering.

Well I've never found any use for Google Now so I doubt Cortana will change that. I'm not in the habit of speaking to inanimate things unless I'm swearing at them.

I personally use Cortana on Android (joined the private beta), but I NEVER use any voice commands to interact. What and how do I user her? I use her for tracking news & stocks that I care about. I also use her for tracking packages & reminders. If I want to remind myself to do something, I simply TYPE in the reminder and set it (ie. Remind me to call JOHN DOE tomorrow at 10:00 AM"). She confirms, and I set it. Now no matter if I'm on my Windows 10 PC, Windows Phone or Android Phone (soon to be be iOS) device I am reminded on all devices. She's basically a hidden service as far as reminders go. She also provides a centralized location to see news, stocks & weather on all of the devices I use.

Use it once and you'll kick yourself for not using it sooner. Just think of the amount of time you'd save over the course of a year by simply saying things like "Remind me to call mark at 7pm". Or "Wake me up at 5am". As opposed to opening whatever app you use and manually typing the info in. I dont care how fast your fingers are, they arent as fast as a voice.

Use it once and you'll kick yourself for not using it sooner. Just think of the amount of time you'd save over the course of a year by simply saying things like "Remind me to call mark at 7pm". Or "Wake me up at 5am". As opposed to opening whatever app you use and manually typing the info in. I dont care how fast your fingers are, they arent as fast as a voice.
I don't think so. I'm retired now so I no longer have a busy schedule to keep track of but even if I did, I'd still do things the same way I used to. It served me well in the past.

I think we all need to keep in mind that everyone is different. Some people (like myself) use these types of things all the time and it makes things easier for us. We like it. Others see no need for it. It's just not something that appeals to them. So remember this before casting judgement on each other and remember it before talking about how useless things like this are. Everyone is different. The world doesn't revolve around you and you're opinion is not fact. Let's be adults. Just trying to stop a flame war before it starts.

Back