Cortana is Microsoft's answer to Siri, will arrive in Windows Phone 8.1 update

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s answer to Siri and Google Now will be included in the upcoming Windows Phone 8.1 update. It’s called Cortana (from the Halo series) and it will replace the built-in Bing search feature within the mobile operating system.

Users will interact with a circular animated icon that is illuminated the same color as the theme for the device. Said icon will move about as it speaks or listens and will create a personality that is not too much different from Siri, we’re told.

Again, much like Apple’s product, Cortana will allow users to customize how they want to be addressed. For example, the service can either call you by your real name or use a provided nickname courtesy of an option in the settings.

As for actual functionality, Cortana will have the ability to save select information in what is called a Notebook system. This system allows the voice assistant to quickly tap into location data, personal information, behaviors, reminders and even contact information. The service is even capable of tracking flights and other similar information found in e-mails, much like how Google Now works. Data for the service will come from Bing, Foursquare and others to provide contextual power.

Microsoft is expected to unveil Cortana during its Build conference next month as well as release a developer preview of Windows Phone 8.1. Whether or not Microsoft sticks with the Cortana branding, however, remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

How useful can this be? I've got Google Now and I'm yet to find out what value it adds apart from inaccurate weather forecasts which I can do without.

Cool idea to use an AI from a video game, but I wonder if it'll be as attractive to someone who doesn't know Halo. Either way, kudos to MS for picking a personality that's not cute and trendy like Siri. Hopefully it doesn't end up sounding like Siri

Im sorry but I found this to be hilarious and cool at the same time. Now with all these (I have an iPhone 5S and Microsoft Sync in my Vehicle) voice control functions its funny to have one that is a reference to a game. If it sounds like Cortana then it will be even probably be a selling point for many people I know (So long as it works).

Unlike Siri, Cortana can show/appear herself in front of you as hologram :D

I first smiled, then laughed, then realized, If it sounds like Cortana, I may just switch to Windows phone.

Its going to be a bit awkward for the young kids that hear Cortana on the windows phone, and then for the first time on future Halo games though.

I'm getting one and making her call me chief. Hopefully she is witty and sarcastic as well.

Easter egg number 1:

Player: How much do you bet I can stick this?
Cortana: Bet you can't stick it

If MS don't put this in, I will refuse to buy a windows phone ever. EVER.

The nice thing here for microsoft is rapency. after 7 years the phone will spontaneously go mad and destroy itself.

How useful can this be? I've got Google Now and I'm yet to find out what value it adds apart from inaccurate weather forecasts which I can do without.

I've found google now immensely useful when I travel around. Pretty awesome getting local attractions and stuff listed that otherwise I probably would never have known about. It does quite a bit of other stuff too, you just need to configure it for you.

I've found google now immensely useful when I travel around. Pretty awesome getting local attractions and stuff listed that otherwise I probably would never have known about. It does quite a bit of other stuff too, you just need to configure it for you.
I guess it has it's uses but apart from weather and some traffic updates I don't find it terribly useful.

True. When we want those, all we have to do is turn on the TV.

In any event, here in the states we have, "Eyewitness Weather". Couldn't anybody tell you the "eyewitness weather"? Like by opening a door or window, and sticking you head out.

We had one weatherman that almost got run out of town, for predicting 20+ inches of snow in Philadelphia. :D 20+ inches did indeed fall, but that was on Boston.But hey, ya know, that's only a few hundred miles away as the crow flies.

Last edited:
In any event, here in the states we have, "Eyewitness Weather". Couldn't anybody tell you the "eyewitness weather"? Like by opening a door or window, and sticking you head out.

We have this as well, either someone if afraid to tell the Emperor he has no clothes or these folks are so wrapped up in their job they cannot see how ridiculous this is.

If I get a phone I'll have to get it to call me Master....like "I Dream of Jeannie" Or "Heaven's Lost Property" if you are into anime

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting one and making her call me chief. Hopefully she is witty and sarcastic as well.
This reminds me of a newspaper report in the early days of Siri. A kid programmed the phone to call the user a rude Anglo Saxon word whilst in a phone shop. I believe that Apple have changed the computer code to prevent this now. Of course this was a newspaper report so it is probably untrue but it did make me laugh.

"Cortana", sounds like she should speak Spanish.

Come este, "muy buenos dias, yo soy Cortana. ?Como puedo yo assistirse?

Although, the user probably should be able to change the sex of the phone's avatar, depending on the user's own sex, (and preferences).

Frankly, I'm confused as to why the lesbian Illuminati haven't yet filed a sexual discrimination lawsuit, either on behalf of, or against, Siri. Maybe both....:eek:

Last edited:
"Cortana", sounds like she should speak Spanish.

Come este, "muy buenos dias, yo soy Cortana. ?Como puedo yo assistirse?

Although, the user probably should be able to change the sex of the phone's avatar, depending on the user's own sex, (and preferences).

Frankly, I'm confused as to why the lesbian Illuminati haven't yet filed a sexual discrimination lawsuit, either on behalf of, or against, Siri. Maybe both....:eek:
Girl on girl lawsuit?

Back