Cost Per Frame: Best Value Graphics Cards Right Now

The flaw in this entire article is that GPU prices are in constant flux... and also vary tremendously from nation to nation.... what holds true for Australia might be completely backwards in Canada or the US... or the UK and France...

What is better (and Techspot has already done) is benchmarks for each card with as many games as possible... then you grab the card that makes sense to you - you just need to do some elementary math before you buy (is $20 in savings worth a 10% performance hit, etc).

To sum up... since GPU prices will be different next week (I suspect some are ALREADY different than what was used to calculate these charts), this article doesn't really work...

The flaw in this entire article is that GPU prices are in constant flux... and also vary tremendously from nation to nation.... what holds true for Australia might be completely backwards in Canada or the US... or the UK and France...

What is better (and Techspot has already done) is benchmarks for each card with as many games as possible... then you grab the card that makes sense to you - you just need to do some elementary math before you buy (is $20 in savings worth a 10% performance hit, etc).

To sum up... since GPU prices will be different next week (I suspect some are ALREADY different than what was used to calculate these charts), this article doesn't really work...

"With that said, the most valuable information here is the frame rate data. Simply select a performance tier you're interested in, take the current pricing you're looking at and divide that by the frame rate to get your cost per frame."

I always hate these tests, because they're always too late in such a volatile market

I mean, this car is still in stock at msrp 2 days after I heard about it, and at $249, the performance-per-dollar exceeds the R$X 6600 at 4k!

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3551-KR

This awesome cards''s impressive balance is the reason it's completely owned the RX 6500 (and was thus hard to find at anywhere near MSRP until this week)! But because the mining rush for this card is non-existent, you can expect these prices to be sustained by every other non-Taiwanese OEM in the coming weeks

The 6800 XT can be had for €950,
Not sure the conversion but
the
Sapphire 11304-03-20G Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT PCIe 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card with 16GB GDDR6
is in stock at Amazon at $859 and plenty in stock.
The new word is that there are a lot of Graphics cards returns and prices will continue to drop.
I predict that game bundles will make a comeback and we might see prices come down even more significantly due to over supply and less demand.

Last edited:
Great read

Now what about….

Tossing in some cards as far back as 390’s, Furys 970’s 980’s

Aways love to see what you can get with the real value cards you can find second hand.

Great read

Now what about….

Tossing in some cards as far back as 390’s, Furys 970’s 980’s

Aways love to see what you can get with the real value cards you can find second hand.

There are a limited number of those in circulation, so it wouldn't be too helpful to most people.

Also someone will sell a 7-year-old card for $20, while someone else will sell it for $200. So it's not really feasible to calculate imo.

The flaw in this entire article is that GPU prices are in constant flux...

The flaw of this article is that cost-per-frame is irrelevant.
People who bought the cards capable of 4K 60 fps in most games don't give a damn about cost per frame.

If Nvidia told us right now, they had a 4000 RTX that gave you 60 fps @ 4K in maximum ray tracing and it was $2500... it would sell out. Period. Immediately.

The people buying this stuff don't care about prices.

These comparisons exist solely to annoy people who bought expensive cards or annoy people who can't afford expensive cards.

People who bought the cards capable of 4K 60 fps in most games don't give a damn about cost per frame.

If Nvidia told us right now, they had a 4000 RTX that gave you 60 fps @ 4K in maximum ray tracing and it was $2500... it would sell out. Period. Immediately.

These comparisons exist solely to annoy people who bought expensive cards or annoy people who can't afford expensive cards.

Yeah, 4K users don't care, they'll just buy what they want.

Instead this article is for people who are doing 1080p HRR or 1440p HRR who want to know what cards give them the FPS they want. The lazy ones won't look any further and the more motivated will do their own price/performance. Which is what I did a few months ago with TPU's data at the time.

As always, you see the world through your little nerd-lens and forgot one category. Those of us with lives and other interests that CAN afford it easily, but have better things to spend our cash on...

As always, you see the world through your little nerd-lens and forgot one category. Those of us with lives and other interests that CAN afford it easily, but have better things to spend our cash on...

I'm trying to even understand what you typed but I just came back from Vacation: Business Class on Emirates JFK-to-Dubai-to-Maldives so I really can't even.

Are you like trying to say something or something?

Zero frames in most games will really skew the data. If you'd said DLSS then there's some value there but RT? That's an FPS-killing gimmick so far.

Maybe in 5 years or so it'll be more viable.
I didn't say RT-only, but for example TH's gpu hierarchy shows lists for both raster-only and RT which is very informative.

Not sure what you meant by "zero frames" unless you were just being uncharitably sarcastic.

Not to take away from Steve’s efforts but average frame rate really doesn’t tell you if a product is a good buy. Driver support, features, the cooler etc all play a part. I for example have an RX480 and whilst the hardware is good and the cost per frame is great. I feel like the driver support and software has been disgusting. If I could go back in time I’d tell me not to bother..

"With that said, the most valuable information here is the frame rate data. Simply select a performance tier you're interested in, take the current pricing you're looking at and divide that by the frame rate to get your cost per frame."
I agree. The reality is that u cannot please everybody, even when u write and make very good articles and benchmarks about video cards or hardware in general. As example it seems that not everybody like or use math when they buy components but surely some like to post too much. Or, can they be rather trolls desperate for attention in chat?

Last edited:
Zero frames in most games will really skew the data. If you'd said DLSS then there's some value there but RT? That's an FPS-killing gimmick so far.

Maybe in 5 years or so it'll be more viable.

RT is plenty viable, and little you know that DLSS makes RT works better - if not obvious. FPS killing yep it can be if your settings are too high, if they cannot be handled. But tell Doom Eternal. RT looks amazing and FPS falters by next to nothing. RT in Cyberpunk looks great and can hit it hard in places. But DLSS helps a ton load. Obvs no experience in using and just gathering from hearsay, cos otherwise you wouldn't be saying so. RT performance varies greatly dependent on game and settings / setup.

NO. We know factually that from nation to nation, everywhere around the World, prices are inflated and differ little. Its like you been living on the moon for the past 3 odd years. "Completely backwards" elsewhere does not hold true anywhere. Catch up with reality.

and is exactly the information provided by Passmark.com on their cpu benchmarks. Look as the results and they show you a cost vs performance metric. Not exactly the same as this but close enough and it's based on user submissions with an Apple to Apple compairion

NO. We know factually that from nation to nation, everywhere around the World, prices are inflated and differ little. Its like you been living on the moon for the past 3 odd years. "Completely backwards" elsewhere does not hold true anywhere. Catch up with reality.
Prices ARE inflated... but, depending on where you live, cards can be had for WILDLY varying prices.

Check out Amazon in various countries and you will see various GPUs going for quite different prices.

Try the 3080 for an example:

In the US I can get it for 1178.30 Euros (1253.78 USD)

In Canada, I can get it for 982.40 Euros (1389.99 CAD)

In Germany I can get it for: 1,169 Euros

In France I can get it for 1,316.74 Euros

In Australia I can get it for 1,533,03 Euros (2287.40 AUS)

Every country has a different price... same item...

Last edited:
What? The prices are marginally different!
Very close pricing. Especially in a volatile market. And no one ever should use Amazon as a price comparison. Varies so wildly dependent on seller. The prices around the World are similar. Its well known common knowledge!

What? The prices are marginally different!
Very close pricing. Especially in a volatile market. And no one ever should use Amazon as a price comparison. Varies so wildly dependent on seller. The prices around the World are similar. Its well known common knowledge!
There’s a variance of over 500 Euros between them! That’s a 33% difference even if using the most expensive!!!

What’s your definition of different prices?!?

And Amazon is the largest most used reseller in the world.... why WOULDN’T you use that for price comparisons?

Well known common knowledge? Provide some facts please...

The last thing I always want to do is be controversial.

tumblr_m09pdk0QGl1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Well, anyway the 6900 XT is the best Hi end AMD GPU offering in over a decade.
As fast > as a 3080 TI and $200 - $250 cheaper (Newegg).

Back